1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Average length of induction????

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kelsbells, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I am due to be induced on Thursday and am just wondering what the average length of time for inductions to work is. From reading posts on the winter babies thread it seems that inductions can take days. Is this always the case or does it vary dramatically from person to person?? Thanks in advance.

2. I am due to be induced on Thursday and am just wondering what the average length of time for inductions to work is. From reading posts on the winter babies thread it seems that inductions can take days. Is this always the case or does it vary dramatically from person to person?? Thanks in advance.

3. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

It varies hugely and depends how *ready* you are to give birth and what the reason is for the induction - in some countries they prefer you to give birth naturally and do not routinely induce until you are 2-3 weeks overdue
    It also depends how you count the time at well - I was induced 2 weeks early with my second baby because of pre-eclampsia and the time could have been 3 days or 5 hours depending on how the time was counted
    - they started the induction on s Wednesday with hormon gel pessaries - in the Swedish hospital where I gave birth they induced me they induce during daytime only as they do not want exhausted women giving birth so the pessary was removed at night - this continued for 2 days - but I was in no pain at all and was able to go for walks in the hospital grounds and listen to music
    - on day 3 they decided to proceed a drip - and the time from the firs weak contraction to holding the baby was 5 hours

4. Hi
    I had my induction at 11am (pessaries) nothing much happened all day(- mild period pain type cramps) then at 9pm I started in labour properly, baby delivered at 2am. The girl in the next room to me took a full 24 hours longer without being induced- everybody is different so just go with the flow!
    Good luck on Thursday- however long it takes it will be worth it when you hold your baby in your arms for the first time.

5. I was pessary induced too and they were put in at 6pm and nothing happened until about midnight and then kicked off proper strong contractions at around 2am and LO born at 12 noon. I walked around as much as possible with my TENS on and that meant I wasn't in unmanageable pain at any point. It will be fab when little one arrives!!

6. I had 2 sets of the gel, but there was no shifting LO (he was two weeks over [​IMG] ). I got to 3cm with no contractions so they put me on a drip to get contractions started. Once they started it was 11 hours, with forceps in the end. Sounds horrid but it really wasn't. When you are induced you get a lot of attention. My birth was not how I envisaged it, but I wouldn't change it for the world! I would recommend an epidural early on because the contractions can come on thick and fast. I thought my pain threshold was high but it really wasn't! Loved the epidural - even had a little sleep between contractions! He was 16 days over by the time he came out. Good luck! You'll have your LO by the weekend whatever happens!

7. Hope it goes well on Thursday. My induction was slow - as my blood pressure had been high they did not give me as many pessaries as possible. Induction started 7am Monday (baby was 2 weeks over due). She was finally delivered at 23.15 on wednesday! (however i was not in pain for all that time). Advise you to keep as mobile as possible and relax. enjoy your new baby
    If it is any consolation the second birth was 9 days early and very straight forward!

8. Hmmmm mine took a while - first pessary friday afternoon and GG arrived by c-section monday afternoon. I only ever got to 5cm dilated which was extremely depressing at the time, but luckily I have forgotten about it. OH on the other hand is still traumatised by it (bit of issue in c-section with needing to go under half way through but won't go into details). As the others have said keep moving and be ready for the long haul - hopefully you will be lucky and all will go well.