1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Average KS3 Levels at your school

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by cmck83, Oct 20, 2011.

1. What are your average grades for your average students in yr 7 and yr 8?

It would be really useful to know as my school have been asking for quite high levels despite not having many art lessons at KS3.

Thanking you!

2. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Target levels have been 'produced/ worked out' by the school this year, processed in some way from KS2 Eng/ Maths and Science! They seem high this year for us too.
    End of KS3 average for all subjects is Level 5/6. A student is (generally speaking) expected to progress 2 sub-levels a year (eg. 4b up to 5c, 5c up to 5a...) so you could work back from that?
    By awarding a student a Level 6 the standard of their work should be equivalent to C/D boarderline GCSE student.... and this year quite a few of our Year 7 have targets of 5a!
    Don't let's get started on FFTD!!!

3. i KNOW THIS MAY SOUND A BIT dense but I am back to teaching Art after a 5 year break in a bit of strange set up- a new free school and am trying to get my head around assessment. I have been on QCA level descriptor pages etc and am familiarising myself with level 3,4 etc but where on EARTH do i find where/what is an a,b,c,or d within each level descriptor ??? I cant find it anywhere can someone help ??
    Also can people give me some advice re marking homework etc? Would it be good practice to assess against each criteria and then level homework against this ?? Or do you have a less time consuming method that you can share with me ??
    Many thanks

4. How do.
    The sub levels are a, b and c. We use emerging (c), able (b) and confident (a) to differentiate what they mean.
    Personally I would avoid 'levelling' homework. For me this is an abuse of what levels are intended for, how can a single piece of work indicate a level? We try to update levels termly, based on the work completed during the terms project both classwork and sketchbook work. We grade homeworks using a more traditional scale (A-E) as well as a traffic light system which indicates whether they are making adequate progress towards their target level (content, quality, creativity, ideas, inventiveness etc).
    The QCA pages are worth a look but, as schools do very different things, it is difficult to compare. However, the breakdown of how it has been assessed should be useful.
    Hope this helps? [​IMG]
    http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-3/art-and-design/assessing-art-and-design/index.aspx

5. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

There's just a, b, c within each Level. b is mid-level, a is top of the level and c just into. (eg. 5a is top of a level 5, but not quite into a Level 6 yet.)
    Students are expected to progress approximately 2 sub-levels in a year. (eg. 4c to 4a or 5a to 6b)
    You shouldn't be marking individual pieces of work to a Level. We level 3-4 times a year and give an effort grade and comment on homework.
    A top tip for REALLY quick and EFFECTIVE marking: We have posters with 'Learning Targets' on them. There is a list of targets; the first is 'Ensure your pencil drawings include at least 4 tones' and 9 other <u>specific</u> statements such as that, so students know exactly how to improve. We give an effort grade, then mark with the code LT: followed by the corresponding comment number on the posters. Students then copy the comment themselves. It's REALLY quick for staff, but also REALLY EFFECTIVE, as students are setting targets and actually taking in what is being said about their work.
    Hope some of that helps!... just spotted Pantomime Horse's reply - good wording for the a,b,c.

6. soph1980

soph1980 New commenter

Lottes...are you able to put your resources up on tes or could you email them to me? Sounds like a great idea, one of our big school pushes this year seems to be AfL, target setting, independent enquiry. It would be SO useful.
    Thanks

7. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Have just done it... Independent target setting was the big drive last term, so sounds familiar! They should appear under AfL KS3 and the files are called 'Learning Targets Visual Recording' and 'Learning Targets Artist Research'.

8. Lottes
    Please could you say which program you used to create your .pub files? So eager to open but can't!! Thanks.

9. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Microsoft Office Publisher 2007.
    The statements aren't anything groundbreaking, but it's just such an easy way to mark KS3 and makes the students pay a bit of attention too, so you're not wasting <u>hours</u> marking to no avail!!

10. Thank you so much. Will try again....

11. Nope, can't open it - if anyone has managed to, and could copy it into a word or office doc I would be so grateful!

12. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

13. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I knew it would be useful! I also took a look at your Photography tutorial - really great!