1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

average child in nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzielou, Jul 8, 2011.

1. How do you define 'average' in nursery? On the points score grid she comes out with 85 points which are a mixture of 5-8, but mostly 6 and 7s. However I was always under the impression that a reception child should be 6s and 7s to be average. I have always been told that she is above average and suddenly after a year in school nursery she is average.

Thanks in advance.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Who has assessed her lizzielou? If it is nursery they shouldn't be using profile scores in nursery.

3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Errr. . . .
    We expect Nursery children to achieve 1 - 3 and sometimes 1 - 4.
    6 points at the end of Reception is considered 'average'
    Achieving between 5 & 8 would be exceptional. (in my experience)
    Am a bit uneasy about your 'points score grid' etc though - Nursery is about so much more than just the numbers.

4. This is worrying on many levels.
    I would not call any of my nursery children average (nursery class in a school). The nature of the environment and the ethos of nursery means that I look, not for above average, average and below average, but for evidence of learning, making progress and well-being. The children all start from different points, and they differ in age by as much as a quarter of their lifespan. The opportunities in nursery are so varied that they all make progress along their own unique path.
    As for points: these points from the profile are designed to be used at the end of reception class to summarise where the children are as they start KS1. If teachers use them as 'targets' during the whole of the foundation stage the danger is that children's learning and opportunities become chanelled towards these targets. It's the early years equivalent of "teaching to the test".
    I am shocked that all this comes from a school nursery. If the practitioners are 'awarding' profile points to the children it would appear that they may have very little understanding of what the profile points actually look like in practice (and how they are meant to be used). It's only when you interpret them in the context of the development matters age bands and the normally developing 4/5 year old (also comparing it to normally developing 5-8 year olds) that they become more clear. I am worried that the practitioners in the nursery have a limited understanding of child development.
    As for worrying about whether your child is average, above average or whatever, it's a bit of a waste of time at this stage! She is just starting on a long, long road through her education. What she needs from you is not stress about achievement but lots of varied and fun experiences which will help her grow as a person and as a learner.