1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AVC lump sum

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by asnac, May 21, 2019.

1. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I know that the TPS lump sum is not taxable. But I have also been paying additional contributions, and it's clear from TPS online that I have the option of taking part of the AVC element of the pension as a further lump sum. Would this also be tax-free?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I assume that it's like other private pensions and thanks to the "pension freedom" legislation,you can get 25% of it tax free?

3. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

I believe that, with the new flexibilities on pensions, you can take 25% of the AVC pot tax-free but to do so I believe Prudential want you to enter a 'drawdown' plan for the rest - and they may make charges on it. Alternatively you can withdraw 'lumps' of cash from the pot and 25% of each one is tax-free.

eljefeb90 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

On the ball as ever @diddydave . You can take your 25% as a lump sum but the rest has to be transferred to a new investment vehicle, which can be with the Pru or another company. This would incur management fees. I left mine in the Pru and it has done pretty well. I take my money out in yearly chunks, 25% of which is tax free. Take care not to pay higher rate tax on it. It is treated as income , as is your pension.

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I took mine with 25% tax free. Yes, I had to move it to a different product. In my case I chose a six year fixed term annuity with a guaranteed value at the end. There were some charges but I was happy with the deal overall and negotiated between two companies until I got what I wanted.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  6. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Sorry, it's clear from the advice above that I have used the wrong term in the subject header and in the OP. I meant additional pension via TPS, which I thought was called AVCs.

Would that make a difference to the responses above?

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Ok, I did both. When I took the additional pension there was the option of an extra lump sum but with reduced annual pension. I stuck to the larger amount with no lump sum for this.