1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Availibility of Vaccinations in Cairo (Hep A/B)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by holmes5668, Aug 4, 2011.

1. We need a couple of boosters, but were quite shocked by the prices in UK Masta travel clinics.
    Is it easy to Hep A and B jabs in Cairo and are they reasonably priced?
    Thanks in advance.

2. We need a couple of boosters, but were quite shocked by the prices in UK Masta travel clinics.
    Is it easy to Hep A and B jabs in Cairo and are they reasonably priced?
    Thanks in advance.

3. Yes, they are cheaper, but we have never had to go out and get them oursleves. We go through a school doctor who charges us and then we claim the cash back later. If you were to ask for advice at a pharmacy, they might put you right. Someone from your school (a Mr. Fixit sort - I think every school has them) should be able to point you in the right direction.
    Are you there yet, Holmes?

4. I had my son vaccinated against hepatitis via the school nurse at my last school.
    I now however, for any such injections, go to Ghaly's clinic in Maadi (Golf Street). There are quite a few other such clinics around - just ask your colleagues once you've arrived. The vaccinations are widely available.
    If it eases your worries, I've only known one person in the five years that I've been here contract hepatitis compared to the handful in the UK I've known.

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

All but one of my boosters and injections have been done by the doctors at my school and I have never been charged for anything
    The only exception was my Yellow Fever injection which had to be done in a government room - I won't say clinic or medical facility.
    The 'doctor' (well she had a white coat) opened one fridge to get the key to unpadlock the second fridge which had the vaccine in it! This was in a room with a picture of Uncle Hosni when he was about 30
    I was quite happy to see the needle and syringe (that I had taken) being destroyed in front of me

6. He's always been 30.

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

According to one of the lawyers at the BUPA sponsored trial, he died in 2004
    I feel sorry for him as only 50 of his 800 volunteer lawyers have been allowed into the court

8. Why bother? I currently use Sakara Gold and Stella original home tonics to ward off any nasty diseases or ale-ments!

9. There's always the danger of overdose. I've seen your dazzle dimmed on a couple of occasions...