1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autumn Term "loose topic idea"

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Luckydip, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Luckydip

Luckydip New commenter

Hello
    just wondering if anyone has any other topic ideas for september that doesn't include "ourselves" - that's a bit boring!

Thank you

2. Who we are and where we live

3. after doing home visits - the childrens interests are television based e.g peppa pig other topics might be 'babies ' as a few ch are about to become big brother / big sis.
    i always try and build on the children's interests

4. Our whole school is starting with an Island topic, where each class creates an Island and then gives it a name, decides what lives there looks at environmental issues etc. After meeting my new little lovelies we think our children will probably create a superhero island as we have a lot of SPidermen loving boys.
    We try and take it from the kids interests but try introducing them to new concepts as well.
    I hate the Ourselves topic nearly as much as Houses and Homes!!!

5. Our first topic is usually traditional stories and rhymes.
    It means all children are working from something they already have experience of.
    It also means you can get in all sorts of other themes:
    Goldilocks and the 3 Bears - comparing sizes
    3 Little Pigs - materials, homes
    Little Red Hen - working together, Harvest
    Gingerbread Man - a good reason for cooking!
    The Enormous Turnip - vegetables, healthy eating, growing things
    You can also do some more modern classics, such as Elmer (friendship, colour), The Very Hungry Caterpillar (life cycles, days of the week, healthy eating),
    I'm sure there are many more.

6. Luckydip

Luckydip New commenter

Thank you
    I am going to have a little think - it is loose as we have lots of festivals to cover in the Autumn Term

7. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

I think that the season Autumn is such a wonderful topic that covers so many areas: colours, fruit/harvest, migration, hibernation, changes, different habitats, day and night (as the days grow shorter) night animals. We had great fun with it last year and there are lots of great activities/ideas on Nature Detectives website to keep the children interested right the way through term.

8. Yes, quite like the idea of Autumn giving you lots of mileage.
    Thanks!

9. Luckydip

Luckydip New commenter

thank you, I cover this anyway.

10. How about celebrations and festivals as a topic, birthdays, special event days and religous festivals.