1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autumn/Harvest Poem/Rhyme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by foundation, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am desparately looking for a suitable rhyme/poem for a Year 1 and 2 harvest assembly. I have searched the net but not really found anything suitable. Was hoping for an action rhyme which would be easier for them to learn.
    Please help if you kow of any!
    Many thanks [​IMG]

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. The cauliflowers fluffy song of course! Love that song...

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

From an old thread - contributed by LittleBlueToo:
    I used this poem with my class last year (children read out a line each and held up pictures):

Plant Four Rows of Peas
    1. Peace within ourselves
    2. Peace with each other
    3. Peace in our school
    4. Peace in our world

Plant Four Rows of Squash
    1. Squash unkindness
    2. Squash rudeness
    3. Squash unhelpfulness
    4. Squash selfishness

Plant Four Rows of Lettuce
    1. Lettuce be hardworking
    2. Lettuce be kind
    3. Lettuce be patient
    4. Lettuce show our care for one another

Plant Four Rows of Turnips
    1. Turn up when you’re needed
    2. Turn up to lend a hand
    3. Turn up to help one another
    4. Turn up and make a difference

Plant Four Rows of Thyme
    1. Thyme for ourselves
    2. Thyme for each other
    3. Thyme for family
    4. Thyme for friends
    If you Google Plant four rows of peas you'll see alternative versions of this - you could even make your own version if you felt inspired!

5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Come to my website where I have written hundreds of poems for children, and there are some wonderful autumn poems there especially for your age-group. If you write Google JOSIE'S POEMS in the corner of your book, you will always know where to find a new poem, and they are new and fresh. Go to my main poetry index and look for Autumn Poems Index. I hope you find a lot more poems for other classes too. I am a retired teacher but also a children's poet. There is a fun poem for harvest there also. I write with rhyme and rhythm which is ideal for performance poems, and this also helps children develop phonological awareness, a key literacy tool. Hope you like them.