1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autonomy?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by life2teach, Apr 4, 2012.

1. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hello, not sure if I spelt that right but how much autonomy (is that the right phrase?) do you have over your class? It's good for classes to be on the same wave length, share ideas, follow a routine etc but how much contol should you have over your own class?
    I have my class but sometimes "people" (not the head) try to intrude. I welcome ideas and views of others but for example if my class are struggling to rhyme then shouldn't I be allowed to do extra and focus on rhyming? (I wouldnt remove something else, just add it in e.g at story time).
    I do the same psrn, cll inputs etc and keep the same timetable as other classes but if there is "spare" time, I see no reason why I cant recap or even do something new - I introduced basic punctuation a while back (5-10 mins at hometime) which was good coz the kids will learn it anyway.
    Basically; shouldnt I be allowed to do the best for my kids? I dont want anyone to look bad but if they are struggling; why cant I give homework, extra input, intervention etc
    Hope that makes sense.
    :)

2. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hello, not sure if I spelt that right but how much autonomy (is that the right phrase?) do you have over your class? It's good for classes to be on the same wave length, share ideas, follow a routine etc but how much contol should you have over your own class?
    I have my class but sometimes "people" (not the head) try to intrude. I welcome ideas and views of others but for example if my class are struggling to rhyme then shouldn't I be allowed to do extra and focus on rhyming? (I wouldnt remove something else, just add it in e.g at story time).
    I do the same psrn, cll inputs etc and keep the same timetable as other classes but if there is "spare" time, I see no reason why I cant recap or even do something new - I introduced basic punctuation a while back (5-10 mins at hometime) which was good coz the kids will learn it anyway.
    Basically; shouldnt I be allowed to do the best for my kids? I dont want anyone to look bad but if they are struggling; why cant I give homework, extra input, intervention etc
    Hope that makes sense.
    :)

3. This is something which gets under my skin as FS manager. We plan together, agree next steps, interventions for groups and individuals and then I find my colleague doing other stuff.
    It's not the doing of it that I have a problem with because it is (mostly) doing the best by her class, which obviously I approve of completely. It's the lack of communication, discussion, sharing of ideas and resources that really gets my goat!
    I work hard for all 60 Reception children and yet I catch myself thinking of how I can get one-up for my class and have to remind myself that's not what I really want at all. I just wish my colleague could share my desire to do the best by all of our children.
    I think supporting your class by providing opportunities that you know will benefit them is fine, but let your colleagues know what you're doing. Offer to share your lovely rhyming stories, ask them if their children are having difficulties with whatever it is.

4. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Sorry f I wasn't clear previous or didn't include all the information. I dont want it to sound like Im keeping "secrets". I certainly agree with your points, thanks for replying.
    We plan together and I do everything we plan for. I always share ideas and resources. When finding resources for a topic I always give a copy of what I have even if I dont know how I plan to use it.
    I agree colleagues need to share good practice and ideas especially if its something different. For example if my topic was 'People who help us', I wouldnt arrange for a policeman to come and talk to my class ONLY. That is rude and unprofessional 'one-up-manship'. What Im talking about (without giving specific details) is having a spare 5 mins and getting kids to write numbers or pointing out punctuation when reading a story.
    Also what do you do if you tell colleagues your ideas and they are not interested?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think that both classes need to have identical experiences as long as they learn the same curriculum skills does it matter if they are taught through different approaches?

6. I completely agree. I must say I think today's events have clouded my view of this extra stuff.
    My tale of woe is about Easter cards. At our planning session we decided we were not getting every child to produce a card that we've designed entirely for them. We decided that it could be an offered opportunity this week, with resources made available for them. I showed them some of the resources they could use, showed them how they could make their own pictures using stencils (rather than just making a copy of the whole stencil!) and I more or less left them to it. Some of the cards were delightful, especially the messages. I read one that said "To egg, Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy eester, love from Boo boo."
    But then this morning I went next door to give a message to my colleague and found an adult-led card making table, where every card was of one identical design and every child in that class were being made to do.
    Apart from this missing the point of the very open-ended opportunity I thought we'd planned, I wasn't happy at the thought of unhappy parents wondering why my class (by which they would mean me!) hadn't bothered.
    Like I said before I am, with my manager's head on, really pleased that my colleague finds opportunities to do the extra stuff her children need, and I do the same. It's really not that that I'm fed up of. Like I said I think it's the Easter card thing that has really got up my nose. Just ignore me. I'm going to shut up now!!!

7. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thanks for your reply, I agree with your point and share the same view.
    I just dont understand why there is a need to match everything 100% of the time. Where did this come from?

8. Are you being told 'NO' in the kind of way that means you're not allowed to do it, or 'No thanks, I don't want to do it' ?
    I'd be surprised if it were the first, but I'd probably advocate 'toeing the line', rather than going against the direction of your line manager.
    And it's their loss if it's the second and you should just continue to do the best for your children.
    As the FS manager, I have the luxury of deciding whether I'll do stuff or not, and don't have to worry about it. Can you ask your FS manager these questions, explaining your concerns and your ultimate desire to do the best you can for your children?

9. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thanks for your advice and reply.
    It's kind of hard to explain; but its not a 'NO' saying I'm not allowed. Its more a 'It's not neccessary' Or 'there wouldnt be enough time' but there is. I also think it's more of a control thing. For example if it's not your idea, then you don't want to do it.
    I will try and raise it but if the past is anything to go by, it will fall on deaf ears.

10. Good luck with the discussion, but it sounds like you shouldn't worry and just carry on. If you are finding time then fine. We often have spare odd moments. Better to fill this with something really useful. And stories are often a perfect way of delivering an objective without the cildren even noticing you're teaching them!!