1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autonomy over student placement?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by afewgoodmen, Jan 31, 2012.

1. I've been in several schools where, in conjunction with medical professionals, a child has been kept back a year. There were three children; one with Downs Syndrome, one with very severe autism and one who had complex medical problems. In each case although they were put back a year in primary school they still had to join secondary school at the 'correct chronological time' - so instead of waiting until the end of year 6 they went to secondary school after finishing year 5 (because they had repeated a year somewhere along the line until that point.) So it is possible but I have never heard of a head making that decision alone and I've never heard of any school getting a child to 'skip' a year.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I know of two children who have moved 1 year on. One was an exceptionally bright child who was moved up from year 3 - 5. The other moved from year 5 to 7, going to high school a year early. She was a level 4 and September Birthday who wanted to stay with her friendship group. Both decisions to move up were made by their heads at the time although early entry to high school had to be approved by the high school head.

3. I was moved forward a year and went to secondary school when I was 10 and left at 17 - there was never any problem/question about it. I also knew others both at primary and secondary school who were a year ahead of their age group. This was all due to ability - we were achieving at the top of the older year group.

4. Interesting.

I am in a huge dilemma at the moment.

I currently work in a British Curriculum school overseas. My daughter has recently been diagnosed as severly dyslexic. Our school, she attends the same place where I work, are advising that she repeats her current year. Whilst I can see that it would give her more time to 'catch-up' and prepare her better for the next year group, I still cannot get my head around holding her back.

Dyslexia is in my family. It is something we have all learnt to deal with- whilst gaining GCSE's, A-levels and degrees.
    We have all eventually succeeded at Secondary school, without being held back, but the Primary years were hard! Is this enough of a reason to hold her back?

The school where I work has many children who are 'out of year group', some because they transferred from the Southern Hemisphere half way through a year, others changed from the Indian system where the academic year starts in April, some just have pushy parents who want their child to be the best/oldest in the year below rather than struggling in the correct year group( yes, I know!)

I have been warned that our biggest issue could be getting a Secondary school to agree to her continuing consecutive school years, rather than age appropriate, if we were to return to the UK.

I don't know what to do.