1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autonomous teachers are happier teachers, research finds

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 13, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

To most teachers I'm sure that the results of this research are absolutely what we all would expect. Not enough responsibility and autonomy for what we do -- stressful and unhappy. But not enough resources, help and support -- also stressful and unhappy.

I am however, not putting it down for one minute. Although I would assume it is no surprise to most of us here, it still needs to said, so well done to the researchers. Will anybody take any notice ---- well they are going to have to sooner or later or there will be nobody wanting to be a teacher.

This research is exactly what I have always thought about teaching and I commented as much, how teachers need to be creative types to be able to enthuse and control 30 plus children all trapped in a small room.

https://community.tes.com/threads/shortage-of-teachers.727595/page-6#post-11547173

If you are creative, you need to express that creativity. So what do we find discussed time and time again in these columns, but how much teacher's creativity is being crushed by meaningless work load, tick lists and the absolute fear of failure being broadcast to the local community by OFSTED.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

TCSC47, indusant and cissy3 like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Foot of the stairs stuff!

I believe the Pope often participates in worship at Roman Catholic churches.

TCSC47 and cissy3 like this.
  5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Autonomous teachers are happier teachers, research finds.

Current working conditions remind me more of the film Metropolis.

download-19.jpg

How many employers even consider their teachers happiness?

HelenREMfan likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

More seriously, up until recently schools have tried to recruit intelligent problem solvers who like people and they have got people who look at the job, work out what needs doing and get on with it.
    Take that away and the key psychological driver of what makes teachers tick is gone and they get miserable, especially when you replace the autonomy with a pile of spreadsheet boxes to fill.
    One of the problems with modern target setting is that it's grade focussed and doesn't much look at the immediate needs of the child (aside from unfilled boxes on the spreadsheet).

TCSC47 and cissy3 like this.
  7. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

It all boils down to trust. A teacher needs to feel trusted. Unfortunately all of the coverage in the media, from parents, the government etc undermines this. Non-negotiables passed down to a teacher can also undermine this. "Why haven't you done any work in the books today?" makes teachers doubt themselves and can stop them using their professional judgement to do what they think is right for their children and in the worst case stop them doing something exciting and innovative because they have a long list of things they must do every day. If the children are learning and making progress then trust the teacher and just let them get on with their job.

TCSC47, cissy3 and palmtree100 like this.