1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Automatic cat feeders

Discussion in 'Personal' started by airy, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Do any of you have one of these or would you recommend or avoid a certain type? I'm going away for a weekend and my normal cat lady can't come in and feed the puss but the reviews online seem very mixed even for the ones at fifty quid!

2. I bought one quite recently, to cover the odd night away. I did lots of research (I read lots of reviews on Amazon). I bought the only one that had no reviews on the lines of 'my mog cracked it in one'.
    We had a number of trial runs and it appeared to work quite well. However the first time we used it for real my brainy cat had cracked it before I had left the house. Now I still use it. However I take the view that they are left with the correct food for 36 hours, it is up to them when they consume it.
    In short however much you pay (£40 in my case) if you have a clever cat it will get cracked.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My friend bought one, set it all up, tested it... all fine.

Went away for two nights, and came home to find the cat had had nothing!

4. I wish you luck. They never worked with any cat I had.
    Either the food was eaten before we had even left home, or we came back to find them starving.
    Tried a few models then went back to begging the neighbours to drop in.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've had the same experience.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our two used to manage for long weekends on one of these each:

[​IMG]

You could put a full day's worth of dry food in each of the compartments and set the timer for feeding time each morning. We never bothered with the meat/freezer pack combination because we knew it would end up all rancid and smelly.

You can always put an emergency stash of dry food in a bowl nearby just in case, but as long as the timer batteries aren't run down, they're fine.

The only problem we had was one cat was a porker and the other a bit passive, so I suspect the passive one didn't get to eat much for the first day, while porker stuffed herself from both feeders like it was Christmas come early.

7. My cat is greedy more than clever. I'm a bit depressed that all your reviews are so negative - I might have to cancel my plans and stay home this time!

8. I have got an old clockwork one with,I think, 8 compartments. I think it would be fine with a couple of dishes of dry food and a couple of water dishes. I haven;t used mine for yonks and now I have 3 cats so would be a bit worried about one missing out now, but when I did use it it was fine for a couple of days. They aren't going to starve, are they?

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What I've done in the past if no cat feeding person was available was to freeze meat pouches and leave a couple as spare food. The cat would eat the room temperature ones first and the frozen ones would defrost during the day to give the cat something to eat the next day. That as well as plenty crunchies and water should be enough for two days.

10. I have one. Don't remember brand name but my ex got it for me on amazon. It's yellow with a black lid. It's good for the odd night away - it can be timed up to 4 timings in a 36 hour period and you can record a voice greeting so kity knows it's dinner time. My cat did take a while to get used to it so perhaps try it when you are home before you go away to ensure kitty gets on with it. it's less scary than the flip up type as it goes round rather than up. I do recommend you get some of those refreezable blocks to place in the lid though because the main reason kitty won't eat it is because the food has gone stale. My one has a well in the lid to put freezer blocks in - you can buy specifically shaped ones for the actual dispenser but I just got mini ones from my local factory shop for 99p and they work great.

11. This is ingenious! Why didn't I think of this?!

12. If you are only going away for a couple of days, airy, I wouldn't worry too much.
    I have never come home to a dead cat!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I must admit that I cannot take the credit for this idea. It was the first MrCatmother who thought of it.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Is this is the reason you don't want to put him in a cattery for the wknd?
    I'm probably just asking the obvious . . . . . . [​IMG]

15. I've never used a cattery so it hadn't really occurred to me! But, yes, I'd rather keep him in his routine as much as possible.

16. If it's only dry food then I real.ly would recommend investing in a cat feeder. And a water fountain - mine refills as she drinks so the water is always fresh

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

Brilliant idea!