1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autograph

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Tandy, May 21, 2011.

1. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

2. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Lots of interesting ideas. Thanks to both of you.

3. Nice feature Tandy
    Are the features on autograph to have a web based version where you can use the files without having autograph? (ie a viewer rather than the progrm to create or change the files)
    Geogebra has one but not sure if autograph can?

4. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I don't think there is a viewer... but there are folk on here who know Autograph considerably better than I do.
    As for Geogebra... all fine and good... but comes nowhere near to Autograph as a teaching aid (in my opinion)

5. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Tandy I was interested in your comment. What features of Autograph make it such a good teaching aid? What can Autograph do that GeoGebra can't?

6. Yes, I was wondering the same thing too. I watched some Autograph videos on Mr. Baronmaths and it looked good. I'll certainly have a look at the ones on your site too Tandy.

I've used Geometers Sketchpad as a demonstration tool in class and not always been convinced that pupils 'get it'. Those lessons always seem to smack of the teacher standing at the front having all the fun whilst the pupils sit and watch (or at best, one of them has a go). I've tried talking topics through and doing the 'what do you predict will happen next' trick but it never seems to work. For one thing, Geometers Sketchpad doesn't seem to be that brilliant for projecting unless you make all the variables really big on the screen but then they get in the way of the diagram.

I'm not knocking the programs, just genuinely asking if anyone has any tips and tricks on how to use these effectively during lessons, particularly with lower ability.

7. Colleen_Young

I'll be honest, for me that does indeed avoid the issue. Perhaps you could explain your 'pedagogically sound' further Tandy.
    I like to support resources that help mathematics teaching too - particularly when they are free.
    GeoGebra is software of such quality that it is astonishing that it is free - there is also much available online to support teachers in learning how to use it.

8. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I'm not knocking Geogebra - I like it, it's fine. I just personally prefer Autograph. But then that could be just because it has been around ages and I'm used to its approach.

As for being amazed Geogebra is free? With the amount of money thrown at it, I'm not in the least bit surprised. But that's a whole other kettle of fish entirely...

9. Colleen_Young

Does that matter? I like Autograph - very much, we use it at school, but whatever the background to GeoGebra - bottom line - it's powerful software that costs maths teachers everywhere £0.00.

10. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

MEI Online Resources have such files, although I have never created them myself. Have a look at the following link about Autograph Player
    http://www.autograph-math.com/player/index.shtml

11. For me, this is the big issue with ICT in maths and the NCETM have put a report together fairly recently (September) looking into the whole thing. There are basically three ways of using tech in lessons:
    <ol>[*]Teacher uses some applet/program/file on the board to demonstrate something, tries to get class to interact[*]Students use some applet/program/file individually, created either by the teacher or someone else[*]Students use a program to create applets/files themselves</ol>And I think the implication is that approach 3 > 2 > 1. But the key thing is access isn't it? 2 and 3 require you to have a computer per student and I don't know about you but the GCSE controlled assessment everyone seems to be doing all the time eats up the room bookings! Hopefully a tablet will come along some day that (a) is affordable for a class set each and (b) can run Excel, GSP, GeoGebra and all the rest!
    That said, the report is a decent read and is worth discussing at a department meeting some time - https://www.ncetm.org.uk/resources/30949