1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autobiographical/biographical texts for Year 5/6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by academicallyblonde, Aug 17, 2015.

1. academicallyblonde

academicallyblonde New commenter

Does anyone have any good ideas for autobiographical/biographical texts suitable for a mixed Year 5/6 class? I was going to do Roald Dahl (Boy/ Going Solo) and Michael Morpurgo (Homecoming/ Singing for Mrs Pettigrew) but apparently they did these last year.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Diary of Anne Frank is a possibility, esp. if you're doing a unit on WW2.

In the past I've used Scott's diary of the Antarctic with Yr 6- appeals esp. to the boys!

Are you studying a particular author-you could use their (auto)biography?

3. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

I'd be inclined to use some extracts from sports/entertainment autobiographies/biographies that would hook the children in. How about books like those written by Zoella etc. linked to YouTube which are appearing in bestseller lists these days and are popular with children of this age? I really like the Life in the day autobiographical feature which is in the Sunday Times each week and would provide a good structure for children to write their own versions of. If you want other ideas there are some here

www.theguardian.com/.../malala-bear-grylls-autobiographies-for-children-and-teenagers

4. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

We always start this unit by getting the children to bring a book in from home to talk about. This will help engage them from the outset. Many do bring in books on sports personalities, but not everyone.

5. academicallyblonde

Thanks very much for all the excellent suggestions. I have an SEN boy in my class who is obsessed with Bear Grylls so think this would go down particularly well. Similarly Scott of the Antarctic as I have a boy-heavy class. Think I can manage to cobble together a unit of work from these, so thanks again.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If your SEN boy is into Bear Grylls he might like to compare him with Ray Mears.

7. academicallyblonde

Ooh. Good idea. Sure he'd love that!

8. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter