1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autistic child

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by dazzlingdiamonddust, Apr 27, 2011.

1. That is such a hard thing to answer on here - have you got a SENCO you can ask for advice? Or try the NAS - they may have some information that you can use?

2. Hi,
    There are lots of programmes out there that you could gain tips from - Teeach, floortime. Liase with his parents and previous setting (mainstream nursery/ CDC).
    Find out if he has sensory issues - this could be something to work on eg does he sensory seek - will he need a trampoline to help focus himself?
    Will he play with sand (this can be an issue) does he like water play?
    What are his interests - this is a key and work from there. Eg if dinousaurs are his thing, bury some in the sand and help his put his hands in the sand to find them.
    If he is non verbal you will need to start to have a visual timetable (this is important so that he knows what is happening now and next) and some form of communication (does he use PECS?) sometimes, photos can be a useful way in for a child with no previous expereince of pecs.
    Start a home/school communication book so that you can jot down what he has done today and home can write in if he has had a bad night etc
    Take photos of everything in your room that he might want and encourage him to ask for things using the photos - display them visually on velcro so he can whip them off the wall. Snack time can be a good starting point for using pecs/ photo communication.
    Put his favourite toys in clear plastic boxes out of his reach so that he can see them, but has to intitiate communication to get them.
    Mostly, remember that he probably understands everything you are saying. Slow your speech, use only essential words in instructions and give him time to respond . An ed psych said to me once, remember the potential this child has - every autisic child has their own unique talents and interests - find them. Help him to love school from the start. Good Luck!

3. Its an ongoing process as each child is different, but I would suggest communicating as literally as possible with him to the point of almost sounding rude, ie "coat on" rather than "please put your coat on". Phrases such as "pull your socks up" will be lost and possibly confuse him. A visual timetable is a must, plus the child could have his own small board to carry around indicating "now and next" tasks. He will also be able to cross off each task as they are completed. Over time, you will realise when the childs anxiety levels are rising and he is showing signs of distress. The SENCO will be able to give you and the TA some pointers too.

4. Hello,
    I work in an SEN school and teach 6 severley autistic boys. I have a few ideas if you would like to hear them.
    The key for my boys is routine, routine, routine! They each have a visual timetable that they follow throughout the day. (Boardmaker is the best software for making these resources, but it is expensive to buy).
    At difficult times (such as dinner and playtimes) my boys move around school with a now / next strip which helps them to see (using visual pictures) what is happening - and going to happen next.
    Each boy has his own work station - in which they are expected to sit and do their work. They also have a green tray which contains the work I would like them to do, and a red finished tray into which they place their finished work.
    Autistic children tend to work better for reward, when the boys have finished their work and it is all in the red (finished) tray, they can then choose a choice of activity. You may want to put a time limit on this by using a timer that bleeps or a visual sand timer.
    Hope this helps - Good Luck!!
    Claire.