1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autistic 16 year old thrown out of college after one week

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Sep 11, 2017.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...om-norwich-college-days-after-starting-course

This seems to be outrageous. I do hope that James can find a college that will both welcome him and offer him the course he wants to do.

Mrsmumbles and slingshotsally like this.
  2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Funding may be an issue but I have often heard staff make condescending comments like ' he does not belong here' before contacting parents to convince them their child would be better off elsewhere.

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

If he previously attended a special school, he must have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Educational, Health and Care Plan conferring certain legal rights up to the age of 25, including the right to go to a "named" educational institution. Does this right not extend to a further education college as well, then?

4. Deirds

Deirds Established commenter

My son's statement automatically stopped when he left his special school....

College had a special range of courses. When he enrolled on a mainstream course after 3 years they tried to get an EHCP. Turned down by council.

5. saluki

saluki Established commenter

He probably needs 1:1 support. The college probably can't afford it. We have a very, very, high number of autistic and SEN students. They don't always get the support that they need and deserve. We just have to do our best. I do remember us excluding a visually impaired student because we couldn't supply the round the clock supervision which he needed. Health and safety and all that jazz.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

All very odd. There seems to be no hint of him having caused disruption so why did they do this?

These days you have to be a round peg. The other pegs just get chucked in the bin. Sheesh.

Mrsmumbles and slingshotsally like this.