1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autism Training Events

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon4582, Mar 7, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anyone has attended training/events on Autism and if you found it useful and can recommend it?.
    What kind of things did it cover?
    Has this information helped you understand and help a child with an ASD?
    (I'm posting in here because SEN doesn't usually get as much response!)
    Thanks [​IMG]
    Figgy

2. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

That's quite a general question! It might help if you gave us an idea of your situation.
    I work in a special needs school rather than mainstream. I did a 3 day TEACCH course last year that was fantastic (though a fair price!). It gave me a really good understanding of ASD and how to set up and run a structured approach to teaching children with ASD. I was a bit backwards in that I ended up teaching SEN before I had any real training/understanding of it so the course was really helpful to me and gave me a real understanding of why we do things a certain way.

3. We have a child with HFA; short attention span, sensory issues, comprehension problems etc. I've read a fair amount of books on it and asked various questions on the forum re: implementation of visual timetables and action cards, but with limited experience, I want to ensure we cover as much as possible. I've seen a session via 'Autism Education' on the 9th although maybe a little late now to book - but wanted feedback from others on what kind of courses/sessions they have attended and if they found them beneficial. If there is a particular one that covers more than most. I've heard of TEACCH, although I don't know a great deal about it! (please excuse the lack of paragraphs - small screen hand device). :)

4. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I don't know much about Autism Education and haven't been on any of their courses so obviously can't say too much but I've just looked at the course details and had a quick look at some of their resources and they look like the sort of thing that could be useful to you...