1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autism is not an Insult!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Sep 20, 2020.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

The girlfriend of an ex-neighbour came up with the title line a few weeks ago when I visited.

Send us an email I asked ...

Hi Kev -

Hahaha, you told me!!! Sorry about my lack of a timely response, it's been a busy week ...

Yes - Autism is not an insult, and to suggest that someone has Autism should not be viewed as offensive. That, in itself, offends me, as a person with Autism, and is an extremely outdated standpoint (something I have been unlucky enough to have experienced myself, albeit from perfectly well-meaning family members). Are you trying to suggest that if someone is like me, it is a bad thing? 'Autism' is just a name for a group of characteristics, and is not a negative or derogatory term unless you make it one.

Hope you're well!!!!

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Has someone suggested autism IS an insult then?

peter12171 and needabreak like this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Given that most, if not all, of the teachers on here will have taught children with autism at some point, I would think that everyone here already knows that suggesting someone has autism is not an insult. A proportion of the teachers on here will have autism.

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I would suggest that almost any characteristic can be used insultingly, regardless of whether the receiver generally considers that characteristic to be negative.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes, somebody castigated the OP the other day for "insulting" posters by suggesting they may have autistic traits. Can't remember who, but I did feel compelled to make the point that if doing that is classed as an insult, then the bigger insult is to all people with autism.

circuskevin and agathamorse like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Oi- stop being such a big poster!

7. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Who're you calling a "big poster", msr lowercase letters?

sbkrobson likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Abuse! Reported!

BillyBobJoe likes this.
  9. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Here we go again...