1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autism in Reception - Planning Help!!??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaw87, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Thanks for your response.

No he doesn't yet have a statement. He is only 4 in August and everything is up in arms regarding diagnosis at the moment. His targets from nursery are linked with sharing and following class room routines with confidence. After speaking to SEN support they have suggested the very structured and academic approach as he really does not cope well in his over stimulating nursery setting. I have a personalised time table, letters and numbers to put on at his work station but don't want to make that too much for him either.

Communication4all is always a first stop for me, thanks, but I feel some of the activities are a little too old for him. I have been advised to follow up on his phonics and number interests to begin with in order to not create further barriers when attempting to settle him in with routines and the structure of the afternoon. He will have a TA for just him for the first few week, but then this member of staff will be shared between two children with exceptional needs - a tricky situation.

Would you suggest just simple phonics matching games from phase 2/3 to begin with?

I've dealt with numerous children on the autistic spectrum but with staffing as is currently is and the extent of this little boy's needs I am trying to do as much forward planning as possible.

Thanks for your help!

2. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

i went on a teacch autism training day a few years ago, they were brilliant - the guy gave me specific advice on how to work with the little boy in my class at the time.

http://www.autism.org.uk/teacch
    <u>http://www.autismuk.com/?page_id=125</u>

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Does your LA have an ASD team? If so get them in early and then plan what is needed.
    What you do will depend on the child as ASD is such a wide "label" and until you meet him it isn't possible to say what his needs will be.