1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autism - how much have you been trained in SEN?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by teachur, Mar 1, 2016.

?

Have you had an introduction Autism in your training?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2016.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but I would like some more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but I have some awareness myself

50.0%
  4. None at all.

50.0%
  1. teachur

teachur New commenter

Hello there

I have supported a range of Autism campaigners but I do get very frustrated with the constant teacher-bashing that goes on. I see so many posts of "schools/teachers should do more" it winds me up no-end, and reminds me of one of the many reasons I left teaching.

It was back in 2004 when I did my training, so 12 years on, I wondered what your opinions and experience has been, specifically on how much training you have had, if you feel it is enough (to get started in a profession where you continue to train) and if there is any more you'd want to know (about Autism mainly, but also SEN in general).

Many thanks

Teachur

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I trained in a SEN school so have not filled in the poll since I am not representative.
    For other trainee teachers there was 1 day of SEN training and some of them did a second placement in a SEN school. They all agreed there is too little training on SEN, especially autism.
    My school offers "SENSE" weeks where PGCE students spend a week in our classrooms and the feedback is always very positive. I wish more schools could do that.

3. teachur

teachur New commenter

Thanks for your reply.

I can say myself that when I trained we got about the same amount. We also only got Safeguarding training squashed in a half day at the end of the course. I personally had done a lot of CP work, and had volunteered a lot in Primary schools before my PGCE, so I wasn't "representative", so to speak. But at the end of the course we were asked to fill in a survey about our experience. I made a big moan about the lack of SEN training...but from what you have said, is seems 12 years on it is no different.

4. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

I have had no SEN training. I am on school direct and have not had any SEN children in my class although there are two that definitely should be and a third on the edge.

5. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

I trained in 2012/13. My PCGE was distance learning for the study/assignment aspect. We did one module and assignment on SEN; which direction we took it in was our choice, based on classroom case studies. I chose a pupil with Tourettes, a deaf pupil and a pupil with depression and self harm. I observed and chatted to them in class, was encouraged to find out more about SEN provision in school and how their needs were identified and met.

Not really something you can learn about in lectures due to the individual nature of pupils and schools and should definitely be incorporated more into the school practice.