1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autism BBC2 Louis Theroux

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Anyone watching this ? Good programme...

2. Anyone watching this ? Good programme...

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Couple of minutes, but it all looked a bit too 'extreme' for me. Should I have given it a chance?

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I love Louis Theroux's documentaries.
    He has the personality and intelligence to 'go with the flow' and not be hide-bound by scripted sequences.
    I laughed out loud at the conversations with Nick and thought him a very engaging young man.
    It was a very thought provoking programme. I agree with Louis about the enormous respect that the parents deserve.

5. I watched it and pitied the parents. I was also struck by a statistic - 1% of the population is autistic to some degree. That makes 600,000 in the UK

6. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

His documentaries are very watchable, I admit - but I think he is rather a typical British presenter in that he hides his sneakiness and desire to get a reaction behind pleasant clumsiness - rather like Boris. Ken Livingstone....man, the list is endless!! (He was attacked this way by an American once who said 'just ask what you effin well really mean to, stop the nice boy twisting'

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I absolutely loved the programme!
    Some of those parents were amazing, and the title of the show 'Exreme Love' just seemed so appropriate. (And on a personal note, it made me reflect, yet again, on just how special my Mum is and how blessed I am to have her!)
    Obviously in a one hour programme which will from necessity be heavily edited, there was so much more that could have been shown.
    I'm now trying to think of a way to encourage a couple of family members to try and watch this on catch-up.

8. I watched some of those clips with tears streaming down my face. Those parents clearly loved their children, but as the children get bigger and their behaviour becomes more aggressive and difficult to control, the whole situation becomes intolerable. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have to restrain your own child.
    I also had enormous respect for the teachers in that school who were dealing with children who are sometimes violent.

9. I really enjoyed it and thought that actually he showed his class as an interviewer and film maker. He was not at all sneaky, and was very respectful. I loved the bit in the car with Brian when they were kind of dancing together. Really sweet and great communication with a lad whose communication skills were so very limited.

10. We watched this last night and managed not to cry! Our son is autistic, although much younger than any of the children in this clip. I'm hoping it really helps people to understand autism and what it's like to parent a severely autistic child. I was surprised that there wasn't any sign of any schedules anywhere though or a bit more focus on some more positive strategies...

that said, I thought the show probably reflected the lives of those involved pretty accurately. How brave was the woman who let them film her son during his aggressive outbursts! Louis looked really shocked and uncomfortable a lot of the time - but I think he genuinely respected the parents and gave them a voice which they've probably never been offered before. I'd love all my friends and family to watch it - it said a lot of things I'm not brave enough to tell them!

11. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Just watched it on iplayer.
    Louis was uncomfortable and scared at times but he tried really hard to make friends with the children. Some of those lads were big and would have been scary to someone who didn't know them.
    Huge admiration for all the parents. I too have an autistic son who is now 19.
    What amazed me was the size of the school that was just for children with ASD.

12. Love to have Nck in my class. Really funny and clever chap.