1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Autism and Handwriting?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by MissAnnThropy, Apr 22, 2019.

1. MissAnnThropy

MissAnnThropy New commenter

Hi guys and gals,
    I'm fairly new to SEN teaching, although I have a background in mainstream learning/behaviour support. My focus in my new role is running a classroom specifically for pupils with ASN. One particular pupil has poor written/verbal communication but until recently has had beautiful - I mean really beautiful - handwriting. The pupils reads, spells, and writes at about age 7-8.5 and is 14 years old. Recently though the pupils stunning handwriting has suddenly turned in to gigantic, badly spaced, meandering letters. On average an A4 page could be filled with 50-70 words (we use double line spacing) but recently we're lucky if we get a whole word on a page OR we get eery single thing written over itself. We've tried rulers, highlighting lines, drawing darker lines to stay within, written instructions on how to write, copying from me, and different pencil grips etc. Handwriting and spelling has always been something the pupil focuses on, often tapping the page until you say "beautiful words, well done." or :lovely lovely" (I don't know where that came from!) But recently it's just been bizarre.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

senlady likes this.
  2. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

A bit random as you say - any chance of an eye test just to be sure?

Have you ask him for any input? Show the visual of before and now and ask what the difference is?