1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Author's intent help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by braveman65, Oct 1, 2015.

1. braveman65

braveman65 New commenter

We have just started to focus more heavily on author's intent during guided reading sessions and I'm struggling a bit with questioning. Anyone able to throw some light on it?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

What is the text supposed to make you think? Does it change your opinion on 'X'? How? What is the author's opinion on 'X'? How do you know? How does this part of the text/the story/the ending/the opening make you feel? (i.e. nervous, tense, excited, it makes me laugh, etc). How? Why?

And so on. With an expectation for more able KS2 to be able to analyse how the author has achieved the effect on the reader as well as commenting on what it is.

3. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

We often talk about the choices the author has made: why did be choose that word, or that setting, or that order of events. And then link that to what is the impact on the reader?