1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

authors in school to promote reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tammy528, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am new to the literacy role in my primary school and am keen to encourage my school and children to engagae more in reading.
    Previously we have had an illustrator in school called Liz Millions, she was fab and really engaged children (from a rather poor and deprived area)
    Does anyone have any names of exciting and inspiring authors that they may have heard of that will come into schools for the day? I've trawled the net but wou dlove recommendations
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi
    I am new to the literacy role in my primary school and am keen to encourage my school and children to engagae more in reading.
    Previously we have had an illustrator in school called Liz Millions, she was fab and really engaged children (from a rather poor and deprived area)
    Does anyone have any names of exciting and inspiring authors that they may have heard of that will come into schools for the day? I've trawled the net but wou dlove recommendations
    Thanks in advance

3. Andy Cope..Spy Dog author..brings his spy dog too!

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Anne Fine - she is hilarious!

5. The Society of Authors

"recommend day and half-day rates of £350 and £250 respectively, plus expenses; or a fee of £150 for a single session (not exceeding an hour) when the author or illustrator is visiting a local school or carrying out a number of separate visits to schools in the same area."

As a teacher with a CRB, I have always asked for a day's pay as a teacher, which seems fairer.

6. msworld

msworld New commenter

7. It depends on your area, Kes Gray came to our school but he is fairly local, he didn't charge for the visit itself but requested that we buy a limited addition book. He was fanstastic. http://www.kesgray.com/schoolvisits.php

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We had Antony Lishak, id never heard of him before he came to us but he was brill with the kids and they were talking about him for weeks after. He has a website http://www.antonylishak.com/ .