1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Author's Advice Anchor

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by mathsmutt, Aug 23, 2016.

1. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Don't forget to sanitize before sending!

upexc.gif

2. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

Agreed

3. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Action to take to report a resource:

To report a resource, please use the 'report a problem' button on the resource page or email help@tes.com with the resource URL. This ensures the problem is raised quickly with the correct team.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  4. LikeAnExpert

LikeAnExpert New commenter

Advice for a new author:

Hello,

I have been an author for about three months and have uploaded about 25 resources. However I have not been getting large amounts of sales (a couple per week). I was just wondering if this is 'normal' for new authors, or whether I am doing something wrong, e.g. my covers/descriptions could be improved/I should lower prices.

Does anyone have any advice for how to grow sales as a new author?

Many thanks!

5. ben_wheeler

ben_wheeler New commenter Staff Member

Hi LikeAnExpert, Welcome to Tes!

I am here to assist authors like yourself with your online shop.

I will send you an email now to arrange a call if you like.

Please reply and we can go from there.

Cheers

Ben

6. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Hi, I am interested in becoming an author. I have one free resource but would like to get some of the money back that I spend on resources by selling some of my better ones that I made from scratch! Many of them have images from Google search eg. clipart. Is this generally a big copyright issue? Please can you advise how I can get started as an author, thanks :)

7. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Hi @Idiomas11 . There are two potential issues here. If your existing resources were made as part of your teaching job, then officially the copyright belongs to your employer. It would be advisable to get your employer's permission before putting them on Tes to sell. Secondly, the clipart you have used may be copyrighted or need the correct attribution. It would probably be best to replace images with ones that are in the public domain such as the ones on Pixabay.

Good luck!

mathsmutt and MosaiK like this.
  8. ben_wheeler

ben_wheeler New commenter Staff Member

Hey Idiomas11, I have just sent you an email to invite you to discuss your interest and questions further.

I look forward to hearing from you :)

Ben

9. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

The school own them even if you make them in your own time on your own computer and don't use them in your own classroom. The only way to get around this is to ask your head teacher to put something in writing giving you the copyright over the resources you create. They may add stipulations such as it can only be resources you don't use in your own classroom, or you may not be able to identify the school, the pupils etc.

10. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Where did you find this information? What if I authored a book or poem? What if I wrote a song? I really can't see how a school can claim they own the copyright to anything authored in your own time, using your own resources. If you intend to use them in your classroom, then this is different.

Surely, a work around would be if you "donated" the resource to your school?!? That way you could use them! I don't know to be honest. Would be great for Tes to put this to bed once and for all and give us a template for an agreement between the school and the author.

mathsmutt likes this.
  11. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

This is for a University, but would equally apply to a school:

Loughborough University Institutional Repository
    Copyright ownership of teaching material
    According to the JISC Legal Information Service (J-LIS) (Madhaven, 2006), “copyright ownership of works created by FE [Further Education] and HE [Higher Education] staff is principally dependant on the question whether the creation of the work was within the scope of his or her job specifications”. A job specification of a lecturer, for example, is likely to state that it is their duty to produce material for teaching and learning purposes. In other instances it may be difficult to explicitly see what is or is not covered within a job specification.
    Unless academics’ have negotiated to retain their copyright the default legal position is that the institution owns the copyright of the materials that they produce. However, in the past, the majority of institutions have not exploited this, and indeed, have not needed a reason to exploit such rights. This explains the vagueness amongst institutional policies relating to the copyright ownership of this material, which in turn partly explains the misperceptions amongst academics.

https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/bitstream/2134/2702/1/CopyrightOwnership[1].pdf

My advice:

• Set yourself up as self employed
    • Keep clear of resources specifically for your classroom
    or
    • Get an agreement in your contract.
    :)

Littlesherbetlemon and mrajlong like this.
  12. Would make a great reference for a lesson to intermediate/ advanced class of creative writers. Thank you! :)

mathsmutt likes this.