1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Author's Advice Anchor

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by mathsmutt, Aug 23, 2016.

1. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter Forum guide and community helper

We have many threads over these pages which often have a recurring theme, such as copyright, "how to" requests etc.
    Often, excellent responses are given, but can be difficult to find again.
    (I'm thinking of the copyright links by @thinky , the business advice by @Charleei and so on.)

Should we ask for a pinned thread which gives advice ?

2. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

3. mathsmutt

4. mathsmutt

Copyright:

5. mathsmutt

Uploading a resource.
    Video from @Charleei

6. mathsmutt

Taxation

7. mathsmutt

@TES_Rosaline ,
    Would it be possible to pin this thread?
    Hopefully it will grow as others add useful links and advice pertinent for this forum.

8. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

This is a great idea. Can it be pinned? It would be really helpful to have everybody's ideas and advice in one place.

9. LessonChest

LessonChest New commenter

I think a pinned post about copyright that covers everything we need to know might be useful. I think there are lots of things we don't know or struggle finding out. I'm still at a loss about who owns the resources if you are employed by a school but make them in your own time.

10. TheGingerTeacher

Unfortunately it is usually the school. If you have a good relationship with your head I would suggest getting it in writing (or email) that you own your intellectual property rights on works created in your own time with own resources / equipment.

I changed jobs at the beginning of the year and I told them in interview I needed it in my contract and they were fine with it.

mathsmutt likes this.
  11. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

I had this problem a few years ago and as Charleei suggests the only way to clear it up is to get an agreement (in writing).

Even if you're creating resources in your own time it's whether it could be argued that you're still creating them as part of the course of your employment.

If you're doing it during school time or using school equipment then you definitely are. The muddy bit is that even if you're doing it in your own time and using your own equipment if it can be argued that you're "undertaking work that falls within the type of activities that can be expected from the employee's line of employment" or "If the work falls within the scope of tasks that the creator was employed to carry out" then it could still be argued that the work belongs to your employer. Obviously that would apply to most teachers added to which many are perhaps inadvertently using school supplied laptops & software.

Maybe TES could draw up some sort of model teacher/employer agreement to support teacher-authors?

12. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

And there was me making the assumption anything made at home was my own copyright :confused: Will definitely need to look in to that.

PollyPuddleduck likes this.
  13. LessonChest

LessonChest New commenter

I have now also attained, in writing, permission from my HT. Very understanding and reasonable.

PollyPuddleduck and mathsmutt like this.
  14. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Really should be but the waters are a bit murky. I always think that anything done outside of directed time using my own equipment in my own home should be mine...all mine. But like thinky said,it's not quite that straight forward. I agree a TES designed agreement for my head and I to sign would be most welcome...

krisgreg30 and mathsmutt like this.
  15. owl_eyed_resources

owl_eyed_resources New commenter

I was wondering if there was a way to easily see how much you have earned in total on TES? I've withdrawn money a few times but want an easy way of looking and seeing total earnings instead of going through bank statements... Thanks in advance x

16. mathsmutt

• Set yourself up as a self-employed trader or have a copyright agreement in your contract.
    • Notify the relevant authorities, including your LA.
    • Create resources in your own time with your own equipment and software.
    • Pay attention to pictures and other copyright issues.
    • Ensure the products are designed for general consumption and are not specifically designed for your own classroom.(unless agreement exists)
    • Observe legal requirements.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    krisgreg30 likes this.
  17. mathsmutt

Far right hand side column of premium dashboard - sales.
    (You will have to add them up !):)

18. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Each time I withdraw money I write it in a notebook (date, amount, running total). Would be great if TES dashboard kept a running 7 monthly total.

mathsmutt likes this.
  19. TheGingerTeacher

I do something similar I withdraw at the end of every month and then keep the amounts in a spread sheet, not only does it allow me to keep track I can easily compare it to the previous month and the same month last year.

20. mathsmutt

Bumped as still a useful idea.

PollyPuddleduck likes this.