1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Author Study year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NicolaRafter, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hi all
    For world book day my class are going to dress up as Julia Donaldson characters. Prior to that we shall be studying her as an author during Literacy lessons that week. We have read her stories as a class but would like to do some activities on researching her as an author. Any suggestions for interesting activities I could use to based on an author study apart from just reading her books?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. Dont forget the fabulous Gruffalo DVD!
    Phonics research........ read one of her stories (like Room on a Broom) and get the children to listen and write down any words that rhyme. "How the cat purred and how the witch <u>grinned</u>, as they sat on their broomstick and flew through the <u>wind</u>"
    Now put the class into groups and give each group one of the rhyming words (i.e. wind). They have to think of ANY words that rhyme with it phonetically.
    The idea being that they will realise that rhyming words aren't always spelt the same. Plus you can list their words in similar groups according to how they are spelt. Then the children can see which spellings of a phoneme are the most common....... and help them make a 'best guess' at how to spell words they are unsure of......
    I hope that all makes sense!?!?

4. Thank you! Fab ideas! Love the rhyming words activity. Thanks so much :)