1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Author sales map

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by charliep86, Feb 13, 2018.

1. charliep86

charliep86 New commenter Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hi authors, a quick update for you all on a new feature:

Our engineers have built a 'sales map' for authors as part of their hack-day projects (the time the team gets each month to work on projects and problems they're interested in), and we have now put this live in your author dashboards.

The sales map shows you where your resources have been sold around the world over the past 30 days, so that you can have a better view of where in the world people are buying them from! We've seen lots of authors sharing stories about where they're selling their resources, and our team wanted to help you have better visibility of that. You can find the map on the bottom of your 'Overview' tab on your dashboard.

Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggested improvements!

We hope you like it and find it useful :)

labellaroma likes this.
  2. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

I love the idea of the 'sales map' but having taken a good look at it, I have to mention that it isn't very accurate at the moment. I also like the idea that you can click and find out the location in a country where your resources are being bought. In the last 30 days I have sold to countries that are not indicated on the map. In particular I have made 2 sales to Belgium and having worked there many years ago I would have loved to see where about my resources went to. However there is no marker to say I have made sales there. Never mind, it is early days. I'm sure you'll sort out all the teething problems eventually. Great idea though.

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

It seems it only works for 'sales', and 'free' resources aren't accounted for. It would be nice to know where they are being used just the same. Are there any plans to include info based on 'downloads', rather than just 'sales'?

sue.ellis and labellaroma like this.
  4. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

Hi Charlie - this is a great feature but as Labellaroma has already said it is not quite accurate - I've had sales to Africa and Antartica and a few more that are not showing.

A feature I would like to see, and perhaps someone might undertake it as a project they are interested in, is to be able to view on the author dashboard the conversion rate for all of my resources. Could this possibly be added to the filter on the resource management page along with sales, downloads, view etc. This data would be extremely useful to authors.

5. teachercellar

teachercellar Occasional commenter

Hi great feature but my map shows a sale to Japan when in fact it was Germany. Also won't work on my PC and I find it tiny on the ipad. But.....great job Tes give yourselves an award.

6. tosh740

tosh740 New commenter

As a geographer I love this feature. Seem to have made a few sales from Aintree Racecourse but presumably some people can't ever switch off from work? The importance of London is really clear.

teachercellar likes this.
  7. PrimaryPros

PrimaryPros New commenter

Hi,

Thanks so much for the people who put this together - it's great to see where resources are being sold over the world. A really lovely feature.

Perhaps, if time allows, the following ideas might be considered?
    • Just like our author dashboards, could we have filters, i.e. Sales Map for June 2017, Sales for All time, Sales for Past seven days, etc.
    • Would it be possible to hover over the 'dot/circle' and see exactly which resource was purchased for that location? Not sure what the application of this would be, but might be just enjoyable to know!
    • Select a resource and see where in the world it has sold?
    • Rank countries by colour? I.e. green most sales, red least - also applied to previous ideas.
    Just to reiterate upon the previous statement, a huge thank you for the effort put in to produce this - I love that it's live as well, very impressive. Well done all around!

8. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Just a thought, but does this feature depend on whether or not the end user's browser is set to allow the disclosure of their 'location'? :confused:

9. hoppytimes

hoppytimes New commenter

Great feature, thank you. Why only last 30 days though, would it be possible to view all of the sales or is it too complicated to set up?

10. LikeAnExpert

LikeAnExpert New commenter

Really great feature - it was a nice surprise to see on the dashboard! Thank you! :D

11. charliep86

Hello all, thanks for the feedback! Glad you're finding it useful :)

A few responses to individual queries:

@labellaroma and @Krazikas - please note that the map only shows sales that occurred in the past 30 days, so sales outside of this period won't be visible on the map. If there are specific instances you've noticed that aren't showing up, please can you let us know? This shouldn't be the case though, as the data for this comes from the same place as your sales list. @Krazikas we've had a look through your sales history for the last 30 days, and can't see anything for either of those two places?

@elder_cat at the moment this is only for resource sales, though we're considering this for free resource downloads too - good to know that you'd find it useful. This isn't restricted to buyers allowing disclosure of their location, no.

@teachercellar it's best viewed on desktop/laptop devices :) we're looking at providing a full-screen version too.

@PrimaryPros thank you for all the feedback, there's some great suggestions there!

@hoppytimes we've restricted the volume of data for the moment, as having all-time sales available would slow the system down somewhat!

Thanks all :)

labellaroma and hoppytimes like this.
  12. labellaroma

@labellaroma and @Krazikas - please note that the map only shows sales that occurred in the past 30 days, so sales outside of this period won't be visible on the map. If there are specific instances you've noticed that aren't showing up, please can you let us know?

Hi Charlie. The two sales in question sold to Belgium were made on the 18th January and 6th February so they clearly occured in the past 30 days.

13. charliep86

Hi @labellaroma - I've had a look through your dashboard sales history, and can indeed see a purchase listed as coming from Belgium. The reason for this discrepancy is that the location provided in the sales history is the buyer's VAT jurisdiction (which we form from several key pieces of information), whereas the location provided in the sales map comes from the buyer's IP address at point of sale, which can sometimes vary from the VAT jurisdiction (e.g. the person could be using a VPN).

labellaroma likes this.
  14. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

15. corcuera

corcuera New commenter

I have noticed the opposite to Labellaroma: although the large majority of my sales appear to be in the U.K., my map shows that a few of them happened in the Middle East, Australia and New Zealand, which I was not aware of.
    It’s a cool little feature, this map. I approve!

16. labellaroma

I have sold to New Zealand today, but it isn't showing on my authors sale map. Why is that?:(

17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

My map’s gone! Can I have it back? How do I find it again?! Went to overview but can’t see it!

18. TheEducatorsCorner

TheEducatorsCorner New commenter

The authors map is a great idea! It really helps authors gain a bit more confidence in their work :)

19. maryb777

maryb777 New commenter

20. maryb777

maryb777 New commenter

Good morning Charlie,
    I have looked for the sales map on Overview in my dashboard but I am unable to find it. Could you please assist me? Maybe I am selling too few resources to access the map. Thanks.