1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Author Consultation Follow-up 1: Defining quality

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, Jan 19, 2018.

1. ajs12345

ajs12345 New commenter

Totally agree with @greenAPL and I mentioned a few times on the original quality consultation thread that the elephant in the room is TES - they need to throw much more at this themselves if they are to make a success of the excellent suggestions being put forward and to make the resources element a success. Out of interest, has TES stated a date when they plan to feedback on what the future plan of action will be? It seems to me that 'the votes are in' on what people want to happen so it's over to TES now...

2. planmylesson

planmylesson New commenter

Conversion rates are useful to some extent. However one issue with using conversion rates as a measure of quality is that the rate also includes the number of times the author has viewed their own resource, for example I have recently updated hundreds of resources and viewed them many times on the preview function to ensure they show the appropriate images and that they look OK. This means that my conversion rate for these resources (and indeed my overall conversion rate) will be much lower than other resources that I have not yet updated. I am sure this will impact a lot of other authors in the same way.

mracdpresent, haltest and FullShelf like this.
  3. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I am not sure that our own views / downloads are included in our data I did try a 'little test' and it didn't appear to change figures (perhaps they take a while to change). Maybe someone from TES can clarify this.

4. Nataliebu

Nataliebu New commenter

Hi- first time post here. I've published my first paid-for resources, I have been uploading free ones for 4-5 years, but would like to move into the commercial domain. I'm pleased with my new resources, which I slogged over, to make sure they were good, but they do not seem to come up easily on searches, (third or fourth page) and I am worried potential purchasers are put off by the lack of reviews.
    How can I get reviews for paid-for resources if people have not downloaded? Would it be acceptable to pass to another TES user (e.g a colleague) at no cost, specifically to obtain a review? Are they as important as I think?

5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

You can't. The reviews are meant to be from people who have downloaded and used your resource. Otherwise it has no value as a review.

This has been mentioned before on these forums, and the genarl concensus amongst authors appears to be that such reviews should be actively discouraged.

My own view is that reviews are 'nice but unnecessary' as far as free resources are concerned. Many on here feel that reviews are very important for their 'paid for' resources, and I would agree with them. The problem is how to ensure that purchasers actually bother to leave reviews, and there have been a number of alternative suggestions made on the TES Author forums, as to the best way forward on this. TES has recently said they intend to concentrate on ensuring quality of paid for resources, so hopefully they should be letting people know fairly soon how they intend to address the issue of reviews.

Kazg1 and Nataliebu like this.
  6. Nataliebu

Nataliebu New commenter

Thank you elder_cat. I've seen the thread you mentioned now, and had my first couple of purchases. Getting started is a tough old business! ;-)

Kazg1 likes this.
  7. iandoublem

iandoublem New commenter

Just catching up with this-hope my 2 cents aren't too late given that the last post here was nearly 3 months ago!

As someone who has only started selling in the last 6 months or so and as someone who is consistently frustrated, the need to define a 'quality' resource/author seems to me to be the least pressing. I appreciate that many of these things are covered or mentioned in other 'consultation' threads, but I think they are pertinent to this topic given that they would allow the best resources and the consistently good authors to 'rise to the top' (assuming, perhaps naively, that the TES search box promotes the highest reviewed resources first).

• First; provide an accurate subject list. Sorry for bringing this up at every point, but as an author of Film Studies resources it's absurd that my subject isn't even on here despite 5000+ students a year taking the subject. There are plenty of other GCSE subjects that aren't listed as discreet subjects on here, so it's difficult to find quality resources for your subject area if you have to wade through resources that don't even cover your subject.
    • Second; reviews. 'Force' people to provide a comment, rather than just allowing people to add a star rating. I would think people are less likely to leave an inaccurate negative review if they have to take a minute to explain why. Perhaps a couple of different star ratings could be included such as OVERALL rating (this could be generated automatically through an average of the other star ratings), value for money, the accuracy of description and quality of resource.
    • Third; preview windows. People are never going to spend money, especially £5+ on something that people haven't reviewed or cannot see. Two of my biggest resources are 50+ pages and yet I only get ONE preview window with which to show people what is in the document they're buying! That is utterly absurd. I think, personally, that the quality of these resources are excellent but people cannot see this is they cannot get a glimpse of what they're buying. Imagine trying to do that with a book in Waterstones or even on Amazon! I've suggested this elsewhere, but something like the upload/preview system like eBay sellers get would be perfect.
    • Fourth; incentivise quality, penalise copyright thieves. For authors who consistently achieve good ratings and reviews they should a higher percentage of the sale (don't get my started on that!) to encourage authors to make better resources that in turn are rated higher. For those who abuse copyright a 'report' button/email address should be easily available for buyers to use which then in turn forces authors to receive a lower sales percentage.
    • Fifth; more from the TES moderators to highlight and promote the best resources. As they do at the moment, TES picks and the likes should be used to highlight to buyers the best work in a subject area, key stage etc. Again, this should be incentivised for authors-perhaps for those selected they pay no transaction fees for a week/month etc.
    • Sixth; finally-I appreciate there's nothing above that will actively force people to make better resources, but collectively these things would really help authors to promote their work, make more sales, incentivise them to make better resources and, hopefully, 'push down' the lesser-quality resources.
    Sorry for the wall of text!

8. iandoublem

iandoublem New commenter

Another idea! More analytics. I have a YouTube channel and one of the best things to help are their analytics tools. They allow me to do all sorts, including finding out how people found my videos, what they searched to find the video, what they thought of the video etc. Of course, some of these ideas are not directly relateable to TES resources, but more analytics that allow authors to see how people are finding their resources, how long people spend reading/looking at previews, whether they came from a specific search term, a link or a suggestion on here would help authors to tailor their descriptions and meta-tags to ensure that people who are searching for resources can find the things they want/need.

Krazikas likes this.