1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Authentic Egyptian Food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lol2806, Jul 1, 2011.

1. My boyfriend spent a year living in Egypt a few years ago and I want to make him an authentic Egyptian meal as a surprise. Has anyone got any recipes I could have? Thanks in advance. xxx

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Loads, do you want vegetarian, chicken, lamb or fish?
    Egyptgirl has many as well.

3. Could I be cheeky and ask for a selection please?
    I have decided to surprise him on his birthday with a little party and all of our friends there so I want to cook a range of dishes.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Can it wait till Monday? GCSE marking is taking up all my time at the moment!

5. Of course!

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

You have to have Dukkau. Its a spice mix which most Egyptian households have their own recipe for. Serve it with flatbreads and chilli dipping oil. There's a link here:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/443379/6053907.aspx#6053907
    Have some tahini on the table too and maybe some baba ganoush:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/483007/6685936.aspx#6685936
    Keep it simple - have a load of flatbreads (bread is the backbone of Egyptian eating) and maybe serve some calamari, too. (Please don't use frozen!).
    Mahshi would also be good here - peppers or tomatoes (or you could use aubergines and courgettes too) stuffed with rice, nuts, herbs and citrus juices placed in a cooking pot and baked in a simple tomato sauce.
    You could also do macaroni baked in a bechamel sauce
    If you wanted to do a fish dish, then grill it or bake it very simply.
    Lamb - the easiest has to be a homemade kofta. Add some dried mint and finely grated onion to minced lamb and mould it onto kebab sticks - cook under the grill or in the griddle pan.
    If you want any specific recipes or anything else then just ask - enjoy! [​IMG]

7. Thanks ever so much egyptgirl - it was his birthday yesterday and I did just what you said. He really, really loved it.