1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Austria closing border with Italy. EU?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Austria stopped trains and traffic crossing from Italy to Austria for a time overnight, and has now opened the border again, and is involved in high level government meetings deciding whether to close the border completely.

What does that mean in the EU context? Are there border guards and check points in place or not? I've crossed that border, and I don't remember border checks. Can one EU country close its borders to another/

I'm guessing it can. If Italy can impose travel restrictions on its own citizens, presumably Austria can.

I'm wondering what the legal implications are, and how it would be enforced, and whether this is a precedent that would have any implications for Brexit

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Schengen may be suspended for security reasons. It has happened several times before usual during periods of terrorist activity.

Corvuscorax and CraigCarterSmith like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm wondering how many working parents took their kids away at half term to N. Italy and not mentioning it.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We have kids off. A nearby school is barring any skiing returnees from their site. We're discussing similar measures.