1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Themed novel / poetry?

Discussion in 'English' started by anteater, Jan 26, 2012.

1. anteater

anteater New commenter

Is "Rabbit proof fence" too advanced for them - can't remember what age it is pitched at as it is a long time since I read it.
    I'm sure we've got a book in our stock cupboard by an Australian author - I can't remember what it is called, though! It had a boy in it called Tin who digs holes and lives under the house and was very sad. I didn't like it at all, but another teacher in our dept likes it.
    What about Morris Gleitzman books? I know he lives in Oz - and writes for that age group - are any of his books set there?

2. anteater

anteater New commenter

Quoting myself here (never a good sign) - I've just remembered it's called "Thursday's Child."

3. Thanks a millio anteater - will check that out!

4. tica

tica New commenter

Paul Jennings' short stories are great - kids love them. Some of them are recognisably Australian - like the one where the kid wanders off into the desert, others are just good fun rather Roald Dahlesque.
    "Walkabout" is very dated but you could use some extracts when the outback is being described.

5. If you're up for using picture books with this age (I do), there's an amazing one by Nadia Wheatley and Donna Rawlins called 'My Place'. It's all set in the same Sydney street and progresses chronologically backwards (?) in decades from 1988 to first settlement in 1788. It lends itswlf very well to use over a series of lessons. There will be plenty of ideas of how to use it out there, as it's an Aussie classic.The ABC (Oz equivalent of BBC) have also made a TV series based on it which I think is available online.
    If you decide that you want to use the book, let me know. I've got some classroom ideas you could use. (English, Humanities, Maths etc.)