1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australian teacher working in British or American International School?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jenpho, Jun 13, 2019.

1. 663929

663929 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm an Australian teacher with 6 years experience and looking to work abroad at a renowned international school, preferably in Singapore.

Does anyone know if Australian teacher applications would be considered for a British or American international school?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. blinky333

blinky333 New commenter

I’ve met plenty of Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians, South Africans etc working at American or British schools. I don’t think it’s that much of an issue to be honest.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Absolutely. I’ve worked with many. How welcome you’ll be will vary with the school and the mindset of the recruiter. Do your homework and be prepared to talk about the adjustments you’ll make to succeed in a different system.

4. 576

576 Established commenter

I'm in an international school that is British upto Igcse and then does the IB diploma.
    We have loads of kiwi staff in both primary and secondary, so coming from another educational system shouldn't be an issue.

5. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I feel like the Kiwis and Aussies out number the rest of us at my school (though maybe they are just louder ;):p) Definitely not an issue with getting a job.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

After Canadians, Aussies would easily be the next largest group teaching internationally

ejclibrarian likes this.
  7. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Yes, no problem at all there.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have had some excellent colleagues from Down Under. Once they get over the shock of meeting lots of boring stuffed-shirt Brits who talk funny, Oz teachers seem to thrive in most international schools. The inimitable Aussie sense of humour is, of course, something that you need to bring with you.

9. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

It will depend upon who wins the cricket and your ability to say football rather than soccer.