1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Teacher Ratings

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by tjh102, Jul 11, 2018.

1. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I am a British teacher working in an Australian curriculum school. I have just had my first performance review and am just a little bit confused as to how your teacher ratings align to ours.

In the UK, we have the gradings "outstanding", "good", "requires improvement" and "satisfactory". So it is quite performance based.

My Australian school follows the system of "graduate teacher", "proficient teacher", "highly accomplished teacher" and "lead teacher."

But these don't seem to align. Am I right in thinking that the Australian model is more a job description? So the "lead teacher" is what an "advanced skills teacher" used to be in the UK?

I am just trying to work out if I should be worried that I only got "highly accomplished". I usually come out as "outstanding" in the UK, and I really can't see any way I could get "lead teacher" without my job description being changed!

Any feedback would be appreciated. And sorry if I sound big headed... Really not the intention!