1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Australian Graduate options for induction year in the UK

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by laurabannister, Jan 9, 2019.

  1. laurabannister

    laurabannister New commenter

    Long story short - I moved to the UK 5 years ago, and began a BEd of Education (Primary) 4 years ago, in Australia whilst living here ( long distance, my best options at the time). I have completed all my professional work placements in the UK (20 weeks) and I will be eligible to provisionally register in Australia to teach.

    The problem is I live here... and I want to start working as a teacher now I'm through 4 years of work to get to this point. Does anyone know what options I have to do an NQT year here in the UK and gain QTS. Can a school take me on with my degree and just register me as an NQT or do I have to have a UK degree? There are no options to graduate with a QTS in Australia, all routes require teachers to be provisional registered and complete a 100-day induction post degree on becoming newly qualified and then be fully registered.

    Any advice would be amazing... I'm feeling a little helpless in this situation... I can't return home for 100 days to complete an induction somewhere and I don't want to complete a PGCE. Option, please...
  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  3. laurabannister

    laurabannister New commenter

    They only allow you to provisionally register in Australia upon graduating, which is fine, but they don't accept that as a form of registration here in the UK.

    I guess I'm just looking at my options as I want to start working again and don't want the last four years to have been a waste.
  4. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    No you need to be fully registered as in the links. The only way around it is to teach in an Academy or independent school which don't always require QTS.
  5. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    Can I ask why you did the Australian qualification when living here wouldn't it have been better to have done a degree from a UK uni. I understand that at the time you may have planned to return to Australia and that may be your only option now.
    Good luck with what ever you decide.
  6. laurabannister

    laurabannister New commenter

    A bit of both, I wasn't entitled to student loans and paying 9k out a year wasn't an option and we had only been here a year when I started and weren't sure of where we would be in 5 years time. It was far cheaper and the Australian degree is highly rated worldwide. Since I began the degree it has evolved a lot and as a result, they have changed a lot of the process to register. You used to be able to register upon completion, there was only one category.. now in some states of Australia, there are 4...

    Is there no way i could complete an NQT here on a BEd?
  7. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    You need QTS to teach in the UK and you can't get that until you are fully registered in Australia as shown in the Gov. link.
    You could try independent schools, some academies or free schools which don't always ask for QTS. I don't know if you would be able to register as an NQT without QTS.
    You could try getting a job in the above schools or working as an unqualified teacher then get lots of experience and go for the assessment only route but you will need many years of experience.

Share This Page