1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Curriculum Question

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Beetle05, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Beetle05

Beetle05 New commenter

Hi

I have recently completed my Education Assistants course and I am busy applying for jobs.

I am needing some help in answering this question please: Demonstrate a sound knowledge of Australian Curriculum.

I am just not sure how to answer this question! any help would be greatly appreciated!! TIA :)

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

That's a very broad question … especially as I have zero knowledge of the Australian education system, let alone their curriculum. Do you need to answer this in writing?
    I might be thinking along the lines of .. Children start nursery at the age of 3, when their physical and cognitive skills will be checked in line with early learning goals. They then learn through free and skilfully guided play until they begin Reception class at the age of 5. Learning then gradually becomes more formal and structured. By the time they finish Primary school, at 11, they should be able to read fluently and discuss their reading; be confident with the four operations in Maths as well as early geometry and algebra; and have studied basic concepts in many areas of Science. They should have had a great deal of practical hands-on experience in Science, DT and Art, as well as Music, Drama and Sport. They also study a range of topics in History and Geography, and learn about the different religions of the world. At the end of Primary, all children sit national tests in English and Maths.
    I can't imagine that you'd be expected to know much more than that, as a newly qualified Education Assistant (assuming that's our equivalent of a TA). Best of luck with the job hunting.

3. Beetle05

Beetle05 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. Its such a hard one to answer!!