1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australian books?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GyrFalcon, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any ideas for novels for lower KS2 set in Australia or with an Australian theme? I've got lots of KS2 picture books but struggling for this age range. Thanks

2. Just done a quick search on amazon and found
    Australia-My story By Goldie Alexander. About a girl (Elizabeth Ann Harvey) who is transported to Australia. This also comes in diary form by the same author.

Injhil By Helen Bell- about an Aborigional boy who is taken away from his family in accordance with government policy at the time.

Alone in a wide, wide sea By Michael Morpogo- a book split into 2 halves one historical about an orphan sent to Australia and the other half about a girl sailing single handed from Aus to England.
    I haven't read any of these so don't know how suitable they would be but they might give you a starting point.
    Bex

3. We read lots by Paul Jennings (short stories) the kids really liked them although they are all very weird which is his trade-mark. Interestingly he is English and moved over when he was a boy.

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Bottersnikes and Gumbles by S.A. Wakefield.
    It's one that I remember my favourite primary teacher reading to me (back in the mid 70s!). Very funny with wonderful situations and not too long. Now sadly out of print, you'll need to track down a 2nd hand copy - Abe Books or eBay?
    I got a copy for my own daughter and she adored it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottersnikes_and_Gumbles

5. These all sound great. The Paul jennings books look great for this class of boys. I had hoped to read some Morpergo but had never heard of this one; it has great reviews too. The Indhil book will fit in well and I can't resist Bottersnipes and gumbles...oh dear looks like a big bill from Amazon! Thanks everyone.