1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Art

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by aunderhill, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Any ideas for Australian art?? Going down the lines of Rolf Harris as the artist but need to do some aboriginal work too. Thought about making didgeridoos perhaps! It's for a Year 2 class for arts week/s!

Many thanks in advance x

2. Any ideas for Australian art?? Going down the lines of Rolf Harris as the artist but need to do some aboriginal work too. Thought about making didgeridoos perhaps! It's for a Year 2 class for arts week/s!

Many thanks in advance x

3. paintbrush

paintbrush New commenter

not sure what i would do , younger classes not my thing , but my own daughter came home with a paper plate that she had painted a background colour and finger printed with a dot pattern, allin earthy colours , soumds naff but looked ok and she enjoyed it and told me all about the imaages she had looked at in clas and where australia was etc

4. I've written a scheme of work for aboriginal art for ks1, if you want to leave an email address I'll send it to you.

5. you should have mail!

6. Thank you very much

7. Have a look at Thancoupie ( an aboriginal potter) who makes pots with dreamtime and sacred animals on. She is a legend.

8. I have made aboriginal clay tiles that were really successful - Cut the tile shape for them - Pupils draw into the clay with tools/ pens for dots etc - Fire in Kiln and then colour in the tile with wax crayon (earthy colours) Once coloured paint completely with black indian ink and then wash off the ink under the tap. - The final result is great - The ink stays where the wax crayon wouldnt reach and the design really stands out.

9. pukamani funeral poles are fun to make, i use large cardboard rolls out of carpet rolls, but you could use kitchen roll holders, design a story and paint it round the pole - doesnt have to be a 'funeral' pole can be a celebtratory or fun pole.

10. Hi your Scheme of work sounds interesting could you possibly send it to me?
    We have an Australian week planned for the end of Feb.
    regards Jules
    juliejnunn@gmail.com

11. In Australia the sun is high in the sky and real stark, so you get these amazing blues and yellows, which are present in contemporary works. Young students might like the bright colours.
    Contemporary Australian artists like Brett Whitely or Sidney Nolan, using uniquely Australian palettes portraying famous icoms such as the Bush Ranger Ned Kelly or the Sydney Harbour Bridge may be fun and recognisable for youngsters.
    Could get into more 3d representations of these, to move away from the the overused painted stuff.
    Hope this helps, have fun.

12. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I went to an exhibition of Sidney Nolan's work.Fantastic.
    http://archive.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/archived/2008/sidney_nolan
    Also look at some of the contemporary Aboriginal artist's work. MCA in Sydney had an exhibition which was very powerful.
    I have found that the children really enjoy the stories behind the work and are very keen to produce reproductions of older work.I used small pieces of cut dowel to produce good even size dots.You can often buy calendars in the Australian /New Zealand shop in London.

13. hey - if possible could i also have the scheme of work - have to complete a class peice of artwork based on austraila for a year 2 class. its maria_hackett@hotmail.com thank you