1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australia?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Geographyteacher939, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Geographyteacher939

Geographyteacher939 New commenter

Hi all

Anyone have any experience in Australia? Thinking about this in the next few years.
    Reason for Australia: Partner is a mechanic and so will also need to find a job, and both our jobs will be on the skilled visa list. It appears he might struggle to find work elsewhere, although any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Willing to go, quite literally, anywhere.

Thanks all

2. Millionsandmillions

Millionsandmillions New commenter

There is a big demand for mechanics in Norway. A lot of mechanics train to work offshore in the oil industry and there are few left on land. Offshore pays more but even onshore salaries are decent compared to other countries (£ 40-50 k p/a).

3. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

The received wisdom is that there is an oversupply of teachers in Oz (that's why so many of them work internationally). In addition the accreditation process is different from state to state. I had a friend who left the country because she was only offered jobs in the boonies, and she was only allowed three refusals. You will need to do a lot more research relevant to your situation. Your original question is a little bit broad to say the least!

4. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

Lived in Queensland from end of 2011 to end of 2015 on 457 visa. Amazing country. Great wages, amazing pensions no recession in well over 20 years and they have never heard of austerity. I can only speak for Queensland but if you are maths/chemistry or physics pick your school (I am IB maths/chemistry) all the lesser subjects forget it. Zero supply. Zero primary etc for the rest. Ozzie’s are amazing. Having beers with my HoD before parents evening. Great sense of humour. If you have the chance go for it even if you cannot teach no one in Brizzie works for less than $25/hour anyway.

5. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Was headhunted for a job at a top private school in WA back in 2011: salary high but cost of living higher. Despite wife finding a job as HoD in another top private school we had no money! Daughter was bullied for being a Brit at a private school. Good kids to teach but quite a backward uncultured right wing place to live to be honest. Only stuck it out a year: not it is all cracked up to be.

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

I empathise Barkham, I had to turn down a job in Perth a few years ago, because the very honest interview panel made it quite clear that my wife and I could simply not afford to live on one salary as a Head of Secondary!!!!