1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by yasimum, Feb 23, 2012.

1. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Probably not much chance of getting tertiary work unless you have at least a Masters. Most lecturers have a PhD. There are TAFE colleges (technical and further education) that you may get work in but it is also tough to break into. You are a Physics teacher which may give you a better chance.
    As far as I am aware, PGCE is an acceptable qualification here.

2. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks Yasimum,
    I am a post graduate in Physics.Is there any agency govt/non govt i need to contact for this?
    Thanks for your time

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

For tertiary? Not that I am aware of. You would have to access their HR section on the websites.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Some of the Uni's post jobs on LinkedIn. Some on www.jobs.ac.uk. Others on Unijobs.com.au
    My last Uni Application required 1 page per selection criteria, cover letter and 4 page outline on your philosophy on teaching & how it meets the guidelines. (Just to warn you!)
    As suggested also look at TAFE. Best of Luck x

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

The politics here in the tertiary sector is way worse than in school (if that's possible). It is actually quite cut throat with a lot more walking over people to get to the job they want, office they want etc. The Vice Chancellor of our esteemed workplace just shared a wonderful podcast thanking them for a fantastic year blah, blah, blah and then announced there would have to be redundancies. Yeah cheers for that. Anyway, good luck with it, try some younger more dynamic universities. The old established ones are not happy places to work. (In Sydney.)

6. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks alot Littlemissraw and yasimum,
    Its a BIG help. If I can bother you further.What do you think about being a tutor.
    Something like working at a coaching institute.I am planning to do MA in educational leadership and management from IOE,London (online),will be starting from september.
    Looking forward to your reply.
    Littlemissraw you might not remember but your advice and suggestions to me in the past were very helpful. :)

7. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Coaching is a HUGE industry here in Sydney and I'm sure in other capital cities. We have many Asian students whose parents are very keen for them to get into selective schools and Uni courses. Although the money is probably rolling in if you own the centre, from what I understand, it is not so good if you are one of the tutors. You could do private tutoring however and name your own price so to speak. The problem I see with that if you are moving to the other side of the world is the lack of security with that kind of work. You may have twenty students one week and then find you only have five the week after. Your landlord isn't going to care about that, he just wants his rent if you see what I mean.
    If I were you, I would try to get registered with one of the states' Institutes and then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting regular casual work with your subject, even blocks of work. You can then look around and see the lie of the land in terms of the tertiary sector or tutoring etc.
    Good luck!

8. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/jobs/JobApp?Command=DisplayPublic&DocumentID=11806222
    I just looked on the NSW DET job page and there are quite a few Science position like the one above which is in a Selective Secondary school here in inner city Sydney.

9. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks Yasimum,
    You are a star *.