1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australia will win the Ashes.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by yasimum, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Never! It lives there.
    I must say I am a member of the 'I think the barmy army are tw4ts' brigade.
    When they were a bunch of supporters, buzzed by booze and good humour, they were fine. As soon as it beacme a business - they turned into a4seh0les.

2. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

True story, about fifteen years ago at a test ground away from England, barmy army people came around to the supporters who were there and organised tickets, song sheets, beer through the England team management, a Xmas day get together, accommodation for those that were still undecided and even transport to the next test. All done for free and because there was a mutual interest in the game.
    Now they are effectively Gullibles travels (anyone who has ever been to an overseas test will know these jokers). I would say that the organisers definitely deserve to be able to make a living and certainly after the Tsunami (boxing day test), they organised many fund raisers with the local pubs and the cricket union and raised hundreds of thousands which is extremely admirable.
    Some of the lobster coloured clowns are full of it though.

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

They are ours right now, Ian. But even after this tasty pre-Christmas present let us not count our chickens as far as retaining them is concerned.
    From my long-ago year in God's Own Country I recall a fragment of a song about a fella who was rash enough to reckon up the profits on his poultry yard while the birds were still in ovum, and:
    In another verse of this hymn to the harshness of outback existence, the same victim felt
    Can any of our Australian friends, gracious in defeat, supply a full version of this dimly remembered ditty, this degenerate descendant of Ovid's Metamorphoses?
    I've looked through Peter Porter, Les Murray and Clive James, and it's not by any of them. And it isn't the same song as the one about the red-back on the toilet seat, which is in a different metre.

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I'm not gracious in defeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT congrats to you guys and the only reference I can find to what you are referring to Dude, is quotes from 'The Adventures of Barry McKenzie'. If you plug in emu instead of ostrich, it will throw up some links but I haven't had time to follow them up to find a full version.

5. ditto
    Australia's captain, Ricky Ponting, admitted his team could not live with England........

6. ian60

ian60 New commenter

So were you there as well, ended as a tie as I recall. Absolutely gorgeous ground.

I found my way to the Fords Motors hospitality tent towards the end of the day, and very hospitible they were to a complete stranger with a remarkable thirst for Castle.
    Halcyon days.

7. the evil tokoloshe

Great ground for watching cricket, waiter service on the stands, and later on they put a second QSC bar area in which I often frequented during tests and one days. The Formscaff tent were usually quite a laugh as well.
    It did end in a tie despite our best efforts to distract one of the fielders (think it was Guy Whittal) by having a long chat with him during the last over. Ever the professional, he made sure that his boundary riding duties would not be interfered with even by ice cold beers being offered.

8. Would Warne make a difference?

9. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

The mere sight of him waddling on to the ground would strike fear into the heart of this pommy spectator.

10. England will only win the next footy WC if they get Bobby Charlton out of retirement.
    And Martin Johnson for the rugby.
    And if you do bring Warney back, we'll bring back Botham, so there... [​IMG]
    He wouldn't make a difference and that doesn't mean that Australia won't win the Ashes either. Can't believe the Ozzies have written them off. Ludicrous.

11. You'll have to do better than that.
    I'm an eternal pessimist.

12. the evil tokoloshe

He's already involved, apparently he and Chappeli had an altercation in a car park after the last test! Probably started by a re-run of the famous on field chirps:
    Chappelli: 'Hey Beefy, how's your wife and my kids?'
    Botham: 'My wife's fine, your kids are still ***'

13. the evil tokoloshe

should have realised TES wouldn't allow use of the word r e t a r d e d (particularly in the context of kids).

14. Well he did to Liz Hurley! [​IMG] Allegedly!

15. Today was a fix!!
    Yes I know, one shouldn't state this type of unsubstantiated staement, however consider the facts.
    Rupert Murdoch is an Australian.
    He is also an extremely powerful media mogul.
    He tells his underlings that
    "This is a pile of dog poo, This is not the TV coverage I wantsort it out!" (In strine)

England are so superior in every department, he makes them an offer they cannot refuse.
    "Look boys, you are better than these poor aussies but we dont have much else and I need a few more bums on seats at melbourne and Sydney, take a few days off and make it exciting will ya". Result everybody gets excited and tickets for melbourne go through the roof, (forecasting record crowd for boxing day).
    Not that I prescribe to conspiracy theories![​IMG]
    Or the Aussies were just better than us at the WACA?
    NAAAAAHHHH
    regards
    Nomad

16. 'Rampant Australia square series as England fold meekly'.
    C'mon Aussie c'mon.

17. Nice try...NAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

18. Where's the Dude when you need him? He's usually a touch more prudent if not pragmatic when it comes to eulogising his dear England side no matter how crude or banal the metonymy might be, ergo Rupert Murdoch-Australia.
    Six days to go.

19. subscribe?
    All I can say, is I bloody told you so.
    I think Ozz are favourites at the moment.
    Strauss said they had taken their foot of the gas...how do you do that in cricket?
    Still, sets it up nicely if you like cricket.

20. yasimum

yasimum New commenter