1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australia Topic

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cathyj135, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hi
    Really wanted to do Australia after half term but can't seem to find ideas. Any inspiration for activities to enhance provision or in general. I teach nursery to year 2 so differentiation and progression are key. Only ideas so far using locality first and then Barnaby Bear going on holiday to Australia. Thanks

2. Hi
    Really wanted to do Australia after half term but can't seem to find ideas. Any inspiration for activities to enhance provision or in general. I teach nursery to year 2 so differentiation and progression are key. Only ideas so far using locality first and then Barnaby Bear going on holiday to Australia. Thanks

3. Hi Kathy, I am currently teaching a K/1 class in Oz for 8 months (I am on teacher swap) I am sure we could help you out. I have set up a blog where my British Bear is travelling round Oz, for my Y2 class back in the UK so your children could access that and it would be great for the children to have Ozzie buddies with my class ... maybe? Let me know if you are interested.
    Best wishes
    Debby

4. Hi Debby
    That sounds great! How wonderful being in Oz especially when we are freezing here!
    I will gladly exchange ideas, photos etc.. If you could email me if you are keen to continue. Thanks
    Email. cathyj135@aol.com

5. There are the distinctive native Australian animals which are a good, safe starting point leading in many directions if you want to delve deeper.Try all books written by Mem Fox, especially Possum Magic - absolute classic. Investigate the foods mentioned and have a go at cooking some of them. Make Vegemite sandwiches. Try fairy bread - white bread, butter, and 100s and 1000s sprinkled on, cut into triangles - disgusting, but a true Aussie kids' party delicacy. I have lived here for 20+ years and visited a class in Exeter a few years ago and made this for a couple of classes.The reaction was very varied. Jeannie Baker is also a fantastic author illustrator. Her book "Beginning" is amazing, more of a visual literacy book than a story telling book. I teach reception and often get carried away when we look at cultures in our classroom.Aboriginal culture is fascinating but needs careful research before you start. I get the kids to copy the Australian flag. Their interpretation of the stars (Southern Cross) is always excellent, but making the Union Jack part is a struggle , really challenging maths project. I also interpet/translate the Australian National Anthem - 'our home is girt by sea' is interesting.

6. hey Debby
    well first off, i'm sooooooo jealous of you being in oz teaching.....how did you manage to get a teacher swap?
    I am currently teaching reception and we are doing a topic of all around the world and next week is the wonderfully amazing Australia and i just wondered if i could get in on the action too as i think this would be amazing, if so email is redhotfrogs@hotmail.com
    thank you
    Heidi

7. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I have done Australia as a topic with R-yr2
    travel brochures are a good start and a decent map of Australia because it is a land of many landscapes.Have a travel agency as role play area.
    we made shoe box/landsacape boxes (cut down 3 sides or 2 ,) beach,rainforest,Ayers Rock.,Sydney harbour bridge,the opera house etc..children can use the brochures as inspiration.
    dot painting in the Aborigine style using earth colours,use powder paints and cotton buds.You could decorate tubes (kitchen rolls or carpet rolls)as didjeridoosor cut out boomerangs from recycled brown envelopes(from school office ,always have heaps)
    a fact sheet about an Australian marsupial (don't call koalas 'bears')
    The rainbow serpent is an Australian Aborigine creation story, we made a long serpent by collaging a black outline drawn on a roll of paper long enough to fit a notice board.
    Tiddlick the frog who drank all the water is a great story as are the ones already mentioned and the books by the Australian aborigine Dick Roughsey(?) with quinkins and bunyips (mythical cretaures) great for painting and writing your own stories..
    have fun we always enjoy finding out about Australia