1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australia topic - science?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by perky_panda, Feb 8, 2011.

1. I am Y4/5 and am doing australia as my topic next term, having done a rough sketch I have plenty for all subjects except Science, which was also a problem in the previous topic areas this year, other than doing a week off topic can anyone think of any science links? I have done a fair amount on habitats, adaptation etc this term as we are doing China. Thanks!

2. I am Y4/5 and am doing australia as my topic next term, having done a rough sketch I have plenty for all subjects except Science, which was also a problem in the previous topic areas this year, other than doing a week off topic can anyone think of any science links? I have done a fair amount on habitats, adaptation etc this term as we are doing China. Thanks!

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

What about doing something on changing materials - boiling, condensing, evaporating, melting etc - tenuous link - much of Australia is very hot!

4. I did think I might do a couple of lessons on that but its not really a strong link is it :) any other suggestions very much welcome!

5. Animals and their habitats?
    Seasons - linking to Australia in the Southern Hemisphere?

6. How about doing a study based around the Tasmanian Devil and the facial-tumour that is wiping them out? You could contact the Tasmanian Parks services about the habitat, the breed survival programme and predict the future of the animal.
    Links into QCA Sc2 5a

7. Thanks for a few ideas, have done habitats quite a bit although will go over it again because I want to look at some Oz animals. Probably will do a mini science topic or something if I can't find anything to link, especially as I planned that for previous term but couldn't teach it because of the snow. But any ideas are more than welcome!

8. man501

man501 New commenter

Why does your science have to be linked?
    There is alot to cover in science to get the breadth of knowledge and skills the children need and it seems as if you are spending time weighting it towards one aspect (in your case habitats etc)
    If a link has to be made what about looking at plant lifecylces and relating it to Australian plants
    This is the problem with a creative curriculum and science - in many ways it needs to be taught as a discrete topic for clear progression in learning.

9. climate? floods? cyclones?

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Topics don't always neatly accommodate all subjects avoid tenuous links and teach a discrete science topic.

11. I agree which is why I will do a mini topic on science but if anyone had any ideas then it would be good to do it cross-curricularly (sp?). I was going to cover the weather but thats more geography isn't it? although I couldn't seem to find the NC refs for it anywhere.

12. man501

man501 New commenter

Surely your school has a set list of areas to cover in science within each year so the children get the coverage and progression they need throughout their time in school?
    Teach what they need, not what would be nice to teach.

13. Some of the key websites that we use in Australia for science are

Primary Connections - sponsored by the Australian Academy of Science has a number of books that are arranged into areas of science education and stages that roughly mirror the UK. You may find an australian slant on here. http://www.science.org.au/primaryconnections/ particluarl if you look at the overview of topics here http://www.science.org.au/primaryconnections/curriculum-resources/ because in Australia under the new National Curriculum we are supposed to incorporte an Indigenous perspective in all our Key Learning Areas. Perhaps that can be your hook for the entire topic... an indigenous perspective, because science is science even if we are "upside down".

CSIRO - they publish two magazines for kids called Scientrific and Helix and they have loads of science information and experiments to do and they are often Australian based - however I would have a quick look at the website which has lots of information on indigenous (aboriginal science) - see information about the season of an indigenous tribe.
    http://www.csiro.au/csiro/channel/_ca_dch2t.html
    here is the page for thttp://www.csiro.au/resources/Education.htmleachers which has links to Helix and Scientrific and lots of activities for teachers.

14. Sorry forgot to say that the primary connections has a little aboriginal symbol whenever there is an aboriginal perspective in a unit.

And you got me thinking so I googled indigenous science and found this website but have not had a good look yet. But might give you some ideas.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mmichie/network.html

Can I just say that it is very impotant not to portray the indigenous australians as loin cloth wearing spear throwing, didgeridoo playing, living in the outback only stereotype. We are taught to honour their rich and diverse culture, traditions and knowledge. Well we are trying too.

15. CB123

CB123 New commenter

I did a mini project on Australia and we looked at habitats and food chains, particulaury with the Great Barrier reef. This then led into some geography work on Global warming and conservation - why Oz look after the Great Barrier reef so carefully?

You could look at life cycles of different animals out there
    You could look at adapatations of different animals - How they have adapted to the environment? This then leds into a a geography discussion on weather / climate
    Just of the top of my head you could do a science topic on sound (slightly aside from the Oz topic) but then you could bring it altogether by making mini digeredoos - I made these last year using kitchen roll tubes, which the children decorated (art) and we used plastasine at the top to represent the beeswax. Quite a few of them actually worked, which the kids loved

16. Thanks for the ideas, first time we have done topics so we are all doing the Y6 areas for science (4year rolling plan as whole of KS2 do same topic) but this term we are all doing a different country. I like the idea of the sound so might do that one, thanks.