1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Australia - Advisory roles in special needs

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by pcd1977, Feb 11, 2020.

1. pcd1977

pcd1977 New commenter

Hi,

I’m looking for advice for Australia teacher positions in special needs particularly in advisory roles. I’m currently in an advisory team which focuses on language, communication and autism.

Many thanks

2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

No such thing as an "advisory role/team". You're either a Spe Ed teacher or HoD of special/inclusive education. Anything higher than that, to put it bluntly won't go to an overseas candidate.

You also need to know that there are indigenous liasons/coordinators that work along side the special ed and inclusive education teams. In addition, schools that need it, ALSO have thier own full-time social worker.

Mainly in the Eastern states.. For the last 5-7 years the government has put in place university educational programs for other teachers (of whatever subject) to re-train or gain additional qualifications as special/inclusive education teachers for a supported cost. First 1-2 years were generous, was pretty much free if they worked in certain schools. Back then, the positions were in the city and suburbs, not so much country.

In short, you'll find it very difficult and near to impossible... Still, the slim chance/s is/are there.. If you have (ample of) money and (loads of) time to invest in, then go ahead. No harm in trying.

Good luck to you.

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I'm assuming you already have a visa. If not then forget it, the door is closed