1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Austerity recipes anyone?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by voodoo child, Apr 12, 2011.

1. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

I tried a Sainsbury's Feed your family for a fiver recipe last night for red lentil curry - very good - quick, tasty and cheap. Anyone else found some good new ideas that fill that specification? (If you want the recipe it is:
    1 carton chopped toms with basil and oregano (I used plain and added my own herbs), Thai red curry paste (they said 2 tbsp's - I used 2 tsps) 1 pack coriander (I used ground dried!) 1 onion, olive oil, pitta breads (I used mini nans), 200g red lentils. Chop and fry onion, add chopped coriander (reserve some for garnish if using) after 2 mins stir in red curry paste. Add lentils and 500ml of cold water, simmer 5 mins, stir in toms (and herbs) then simmer till lentils are tender (15 mins approx). Heat pitta/nan (I use the toaster) . Add chopped coriander before serving. )

Supposed to serve 4 but Mr. VC hoovered up enough for 2 greedy people. So really enough for 3 normal people or 1 normal (me) and 1 greedy person.