1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Auschwitz POland Trip

Discussion in 'School trips' started by whitaker.leanne, Feb 7, 2017.

1. whitaker.leanne

whitaker.leanne New commenter

Does anyone know of any reasonable companies for this please. The quotes I am getting to go Easter time are really expensive. Thanks

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If it's for this Easter, air fares have already gone up quite high; so it might be difficult whomever you ask.

As I always do, because I now help them with some of their tour planning, I would recommend an e-mail to history@culturetrails.co.uk giving an idea of what dates you want to travel and how many students and staff.

Also, exactly what you want to include in the programme.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Poland on the whole is very inexpensive. However Krakow has a big tourist industry and is more expensive. Auswitz is something that takes at least 4 hours. They provide guides and part of the visit is they transport you between 2 sites. Mostly it is outdoors with a few stops in the various buildings so clothing appropriate to the weather will be needed.

If you want some science there is a Planetarium in Katowice about an hour from Krakow. You may have to check they have someone on site who speaks English.

Katowice is cheaper than Krakow and if you want to include shopping there is a huge mall there.

4. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

My partner is planning this trip for July this year and after getting many quotes found the NST quote to be the best. They're paying £465 all included with auschwitz and salt mines excursions for 5 days, 4 nights.

5. SaltJonathan

SaltJonathan New commenter

If you are looking for Easter this year, then I am obviously too late. I am happy to help out for Easter next year. It depends on what you are wanting from Auschwitz and the type of program that you are on, as to the cost. Some are really expensive for what you get, and some are really good value. At the moment generally in Europe prices are up because of Brexit and the uncertainty. Feel free to email me at jonathan.salt@ojemba.com or call me on 07761629075

6. SaltJonathan

That is not bad price, but of course it depends on what you are getting for that price and the quality of educational provision.

7. SaltJonathan

You are right. However I think it is important to really do justice to visiting Auschwitz and I take groups over there regularly. We spend at least two days there, one day in Auschwitz and one day in Birkenau. We also make sure we spend time in Oswiecim.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The kids must be bored rigid. 2 days is too much. Even after the 4 hour tour I my empathy gene was overwhelmed. You could look at every brick in Auschwitz in one whole day. There isn't actually much to see in Birkenau as most of the huts have gone. 1 hour is sufficient.