1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aus V English - best PGCE (i)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 1325, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Someone is asking me which of these is the 'best', they are looking at the South Queensland one and the Sunderland one. They are both the same price and seem to give you the same 'qualification' - which is not really any qualification. They are already abroad and want to teach secondary. Does anyone have any experience of either?

2. Someone is asking me which of these is the 'best', they are looking at the South Queensland one and the Sunderland one. They are both the same price and seem to give you the same 'qualification' - which is not really any qualification. They are already abroad and want to teach secondary. Does anyone have any experience of either?

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Those youngest in Oz used to be 'well behind' the Brits in terms of quality of education, but the last five years have seen significant improvements (they stole most of their ideas from the UK).
    So in terms of content, pretty much the same nowadays.
    However, the reality of teaching abroad means there are more opportunities for Brits than Aussies to gain employment around the world. Having a UK PGCE may give a slight advantage in the eyes of some schools.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Are you really a Lincolnshire yellow belly? And from the deep south too? My younger lad was born in Lincoln and his brother in Cambridge. Both fen tigers (they get vertigo if the altitude goes more than a dozen feet above sea level).

5. Lived in North Sea Camp until I was four. A real a4se end of the earth place.
    Went back to visit it a few years ago on a lovely warm day and it chilled me to the bone - had horror movie written all over it.

6. For reasons best known only to myself, I have done both an Australian Teacher Training Course (in Queensland) and a PGDE in Wales. Without a shadow of doubt those who competed the Australian course were much better prepared to start teaching. For a start, the final classroom practice was one full term (ten weeks) in the classroom, 100% of the time,(less normal PPA) none of this 60-80% of a full time teacher - when you started in your first year you taught a normal timetable too, no extra NQT time off compared to someone who had been teaching many years. I can honestly say I was better prepared to teach after the Australian course compared to those I did the PGDE with.
    However, I have just got my first international appointment and the school are only interested in my BA (English) and my PGDE and not my teaching degree from Aus. Go figure...

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You were born on an oil rig?

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Ah, Uncle Google tells me it is a prison.

9. So it is all a matter of opinion it seems. I think I may tentatively recommend the Sunderland version, simply because it is more likely to hold sway with more international schools. Thank you for your responses.

10. A borstal back then. I wasn't born inside the prison - at least I don't think I was.

11. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Possibly a conjugal visit was somehow involved? [​IMG]

12. How would I know? A sort of released from within type thing....

13. llanelliboy

llanelliboy New commenter

I'm six weeks away from finishing mine at University of the Sunshine Coast.

We don't really cover the IB over here so if the Sunderland course does, then go for that one as skills in IB offer more scope for work in different countries