1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

August babies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by birdstock, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Other half and I are very much planning on trying for a baby. When I was chatting to a colleague about this, their first reaction was "ooh give it another month - you don't want an August baby! They end up well behind at school!". I was wondering if anyone could offer me any August baby success stories (of whih I'm sure there are many, Barack Obama for one, apparently!). I might explode with broodiness if I have to put it off any more! [​IMG]

2. Other half and I are very much planning on trying for a baby. When I was chatting to a colleague about this, their first reaction was "ooh give it another month - you don't want an August baby! They end up well behind at school!". I was wondering if anyone could offer me any August baby success stories (of whih I'm sure there are many, Barack Obama for one, apparently!). I might explode with broodiness if I have to put it off any more! [​IMG]

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Daughter's birthday is 24th August. She has never been behind at school and started at the age of 4 and one month. She is still a pain in the **** like all teenagers though.

4. I'm an August baby! Nout wrong with me.....I think lol! Go for it....I've lost two babies and I'd be so thankful for one to be born in any month of the year :0) xx Good luck xx

5. I'm 24th too [​IMG]

6. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

As long as you don't join the long line of parents excusing their chil's lack of progress with the wail, "...but he/she has an August birthday....!"

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My sister's an August baby and she was never behind at school.
    One of the boys in my French/Spanish class is an August child and he seems to be pretty much top of the class.
    If you want to try, then go for it. The only disadvantage is you will be heavily pregnant in the Summer! My son was born mid June last year, and it was pretty warm then.

8. I'm August and my eldest son is August too and no problems for either of us! (My other son is September and found school much harder - just depends on the child I think) :)

9. Thought as much! Thank you very much for your quick replies. Back to plan 'A' then! [​IMG]

10. I am an August baby. Was never a problem.
    My son is an August baby. Has never been a problem.
    My BIL is an August baby - he is a Neurosurgeon.
    My first "living in sin" partner was an August baby - he now runs one of Germany's largest advertising companies.
    My ex SIL is an August baby - she is a millionaire (not inherited or married into) but founded her own company.
    My Grandmother is an August baby - she has had work published.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with having an August baby [​IMG]
    Remember most of them will be Leos - and we are Go-Getters!
    The others are Virgos and have their plans and are very determined (just not quite so loud about it as us Leos).

11. Yep, I'm a Virgo CQ! Haha! Thank you for that. Convinced me even more now [​IMG]

12. Have the baby when it comes and be grateful that it does.
    It's good parenting and teaching that makes a child successful at school anyway.

13. Me! August baby. Always in top sets, never behind, blah..blah... I was always youngest or thereabouts in the class and it was never an issue at all. Downsides; I never had a birthday party because we were always abroad for my birthday. Plus side; being a teacher means I never have to work on my birthday!

14. Virgo is good. My sister and daughter are Virgos too [​IMG]
    And Leos - well, we are just great and don't we know it.
    Tee hee!

15. Oh I completely agree! I've no idea how long it will take to fall pregnant, if indeed I can! I was just intrigued by the daft assumptions that August babies suffer. A healthy happy baby, any time and any gender. That'll do me! [​IMG]

16. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I must say that I've never heard this particular theory. It's an odd one!
    My eldest was born on 14th August. She is bright and was a dream baby/toddler.
    A bit more moody these days than I'd like though, now that she's 9. I think she's going to be one of those early teenagers!
    August is a lovely month to have a baby, as is indeed any time of year.
    Good luck!

17. I had mine in August.

It goes without saying she's incredibly bright. :D

18. Have to say I hadn't either! I Googled it when I got home and there were a fair few articles about it. I guess it's just based on the fact that when they start school they are almost a year younger than some of their class mates but, as many have already said, surely supportive parenting does the trick?

19. I would suggest the whole thing is balls.

Squishy, sweaty, balls.

20. Oh, the theory exists.
    Which would mean all July babies born in Germany are at a disadvantage.
    Which is not true either.