1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by LBaggley, Nov 13, 2015.

1. LBaggley

LBaggley New commenter

Hi there,

I am an advisory teacher for AAC and also an AAC technician working for local government.

I thought it would be a nice idea to start a thread where users/practitioners could share experiences, thoughts and feelings about the use of AAC in schools.

One thing I have learned since I am have been in post is that schools and staff working with children using AAC don't necessarily have somewhere to go to support each other. Maybe this is a starting place?

So, wh has experiencces with AAC in schools, and who is just curious about what AAC is?

-Laura

2. George68

George68 New commenter

Hi,
    I teach a secondary age class in which two totally non verbal students use AAC for communication. Since starting them with their devices and using Grid player it has been amazing to see how much they actually know but were unable to show before. They can both read using symbols and recognise a huge range of vocabulary. The devices have enabled them to take part in class discussions and answer questions that require more than just a yes/no response. We don't even notice the communicators anymore as they are an integral pat of the classroom.
    No one else in school uses AAC to this degree so there's not much teacher support within school but I do have a great SaLT who will answer my queries and worries. I have been concentrating on encouraging conversation rather than just functional communication.

Christina671 likes this.