1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Aug/Sep 2020 Resign? DON’T

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rouxx, Apr 23, 2020.

  1. Luvsskiing

    Luvsskiing Established commenter

    Stay in the UK if you still have a job and haven't resigned. Use this coming year to upskill, learn a few new topics, learn about IB, do something new that adds to your CV etc.

    There are just 8 weeks left before most teachers should be leaving for induction. Documents aren't being verified. There is confusion and silence about work visas, or any visa. Ditto for flights, medical insurance, and more.

    If you arrive at any new school, you would need to be super flexible in what subject you teach and allow the owner and Government to order you to do anything, as there will be teachers who decided not to go, possible extensions of the school day and holidays to enable social distancing and to plug gaps in education. You need to be prepared for changes to your "contract" which might leave you getting a big cut in salary, or working for a deferred salary, as is happening in Kuwait this Summer and other ME countries. You might have to put up with widespread racism whipped up by Governments towards foreigners, like in China.

    If you have a UK job, then keep it. Go abroad next year.
    DocShew and yasf like this.
  2. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Very very sensible advice.
  3. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    Probably a good time to repeat this message.

    I know many countries are returning to a kind of normal, but still very few will process visas and there is plenty of time for a situation to change dramatically before end of July/early August. For better or worse. It’s still a crystal ball situation.

    On the plus side, if you haven’t got a job and you can travel at the drop of a hat, there are bound to be some great opportunities come the start of the new academic year.
  4. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    I wonder if a good question in interviews just now would be "What percentage of your staff returning next year are not currently in country?" If it's a high % - I'd say over 40% - then the school is either planning to make provision to start the year online, or about to have a problem.

    Of course, the answer you get might not be accurate.....
    lunarita likes this.
  5. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    @amysdad very good point.
    A high percentage might just indicate they could be prepared to honor your contract with remote teaching if you can’t get in to the country either.

    I do think that very few new recruits (despite assurances from schools that it will happen) will find that contracts are honored if they can’t get in, particularly in primary. Best case scenario, I believe, will be postponement to January. I would expect most schools would rather have a lesser quality living body than a computer screen in front of their pupils and parents will want this too. Why pay huge fees for a virtual teacher?
  6. PhuMyHung

    PhuMyHung New commenter

    I decided against taking any of my offers in SE Asia, one of which was in my first choice location. Instead, I'll be staying in the UK for another year, which will be my second full year of teaching.

    The situation with flights and visas just wasn't moving fast enough. Really disappointing. I'll be gutted if it turns out I would have been able to go. I hope it'll work out next year.

    Right choice?
    adrixargentina likes this.
  7. TeacherMan19

    TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

    I think it's not a bad decision. Especially if you have financial commitments.
  8. Oli_K

    Oli_K New commenter

    Probably, talk in Vietnam is that it will be 16th September at the earliest to get in. Add to that quarantine etc, you are looking at starting teaching after or just before half term.

    Nightmare situation for everyone.

    I think it is money related and the cost of quarantine, I know some schools are willing to pay for staff to be quarantined in there own establishments at a big cost, but some of the small schools wont do that.
  9. Oli_K

    Oli_K New commenter

    I wonder what the market will be like next year, with people having to give your notice in November and December, will many resign with the ways things are.
  10. Mr robinson

    Mr robinson New commenter

    Ive already had someone in my department say he is staying, and signing a new contract next year, rather than move. But our school has been exemplary (so far) with looking after teachers. Other teachers who haven't been looked after, or even teachers in a country that hasn't handled Covid19 well, may be more likely to move. Who knows?
  11. PJ1984

    PJ1984 New commenter

    That’s my concern too. We were looking at moving on next year but with so much uncertainty I don’t know!
  12. johnnyb__123

    johnnyb__123 New commenter

    Are you in Vietnam Oli? Where does the date 16/09 come from? I’m due to start in August - school is presenting that they are working very hard to get new teachers over from UK.
  13. Oli_K

    Oli_K New commenter

    A couple of articles online, such as this one


    As I said above only talk, I think schools are going through processes to try and get new teachers it as experts. It's going to be expensive and tight for schools.
  14. johnnyb_1231

    johnnyb_1231 New commenter

    That’s what appears to be happening. As you say, it’s probably whether schools can convince the authorities that UK teachers are experts - and I guess if you’re advertising native English speaking, UK qualified teachers you need to provide that. But there may be no shortage of such teachers already in country. It’s a worry, that’s for sure

Share This Page