1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aug/Sep 2020 Resign? DON’T

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rouxx, Apr 23, 2020.

1. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

no easy answers for your situation- how confident are you in the Thai school honouring the contract? One the T1 school Head who likes to write for Tes, has been telling everyone that his school will honour contracts even if it means working from home/ online.

You have to get in contact with the school- my experience in BKK is that they are some than shady outfits. But there’s lots of teachers on here who would help / offer advice.

Good luck. Maybe @Luvskiing was right to advise looking around at more than one post.

2. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Yep and there's a fair amount of anger. I think when the dust settles, this will be viewed less harshly as the school let people know sooner rather than later that they don't have a job to go to. Certainly not the best situation but better than "everything will be ok" when it probably won't be.

There really are no easy answers. While I don't agree with signing several contracts and then leaving schools in the lurch, people really do need to keep their options open.

3. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"Head who likes to write for Tes, has been telling everyone that his school will honour contracts even if it means working from home/ online."

What a load of bullocks. If there"s no money coming in, there's no money. Thai schools are not going to put the schools' survival and income drop doing the 'right thing' for teachers LOL. This is what I mean and a classic example of organisations saying anything to you that you want to hear, until they have assessed where they are closer to the time. It takes one email with 'sorry but good luck' in it to get rid of you, and zero compensation.

This year, you really need to look after number one and hold the cards. Hold three or four job offers if possible, then pick one in August when you know they really are open, still trading, not downsizing, flights are possible, your medical insurance is valid, no second wave lockdown has occured, you can get a work visa, you can get your documents noterised etc etc. Sadly, it's the only way. This applies especially if your only offer at the moment is an ME country but schools in places like Thailand are also in serious trouble so keep applying.

Remember. Trust no one with regards to contracts. They are Letters of Intent rather than binding contracts.

4. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  5. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

I just don't think it's as straightforward as this... and it is an easy thing to say as a retired teacher who doesn't have to think about the next 30 years, as well as the next 2 years.

Reputation is important and I wouldn't fancy being identified by headteachers, or recruiters, or school groups (all of whom talk to each other), as the candidate that said yes to a number of schools only to leave them in the lurch at the last minute.

The international circuit isn't that big, especially if you are focusing on the top schools. While I agree it is important to put yourself in as secure a position as possible for the next 2 years, I wouldn't want to do this at the expense of my reputation for the next 30.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  6. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"The international circuit isn't that big"

Ah, the 'ol international circuit grapevine conspiracy.. That one regularly gets rolled out, and is of course nonsense. The international circuit is huge, cut-throat, with commission-based agents looking to earn money whenever and however they can. There is no central database of teachers who withdraw from a school's contract before starting for whatever reason, or do a runner when there, just like there is no central database of schools who withdraw contracts at the last moment (unofficial ones like a certain schools review website exist, however).

The other big problem schools face are making sure that they don't employ paedophiles. It can take a long time at the best of times to get documents notarised and police checks verified, as well as getting the right visa. All these things aren't happening at all anywhere. With the first teachers in theory arriving on distant shores for the new international job in just 8 weeks time, it would be a brave school indeed to employ anyone new without the appropriate checks being done. It wouldn't surprise me if the convicted cockroaches and those who've skipped town start turning up employed as teachers by desperate schools again in July / August.

7. joeboy1991

joeboy1991 New commenter

I have accepted a job in Abu Dhabi for sep. My wedding was due to be in July which meant that my fiance and son could also come on a spouse visa. Now we have no idea if we are going to be able to get married as well as whether our visa will even be granted if we are able to get together the paperwork in time. The school has been incredibly vague and hasn't given any solid guarantees. They said today either to confirm I was definitely coming or they will readvertise the job. I can't say I feel reassured! Luckily I am yet to resign, really don't know what to do? Any advice appreciated

8. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

If staying in your current job is a workable option for your and your fiancee then play it safe and stay put.

Moving to a school in Abu Dhabi this year has numerous risks: will the job exist, can you process the paperwork, can you get flights... If, and this sounds to be the situation, you do NOT have real confidence in the school, then it is probably best to take the opt out the school is offering you. There will be more opportunities next year.

9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Don’t resign

DocShew, BlueHues and yasf like this.
  10. doudoune

doudoune New commenter

I have decided to stay put as I haven't resigned yet. I had a lot of confidence in the new school but am concerned about getting paperwork done, getting into the country, quarantine and also the fact that the schools in the UAE are considering distance learning in some form until 2021. Its likely that social distancing will continue for some time and I just felt I didn't want to start life in a new country like this. I'm very upset about missing this opportunity and have no idea if I've made the right decision.

Luvsskiing and rouxx like this.
  11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Right choice...opportunities will still be there in a year.

DocShew, Luvsskiing and yasf like this.
  12. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Worth noting the UK government is seriously considering a public sector pay freeze to pay for the bailouts.

So teachers (and nurses etc) will face a decade of frozen pay with inflation causing real wage decreases.

So after this year would the last teacher leaving the UK please turn the classroom lights out.....

13. doudoune

doudoune New commenter

I saw that today. Maybe I made the wrong decision

14. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Better a frozen salary than no salary.

DocShew, Luvsskiing, BlueHues and 2 others like this.
  15. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Sitting tight for another year is probably the sensible thing to do.

Luvsskiing likes this.
  16. IndigoViolence

Exactly @rouxx at least in U.K. you are protected by laws. If a Sch pulls your contract (and it’s happening every where!) - a salary is better than nothing.

DocShew and Luvsskiing like this.
  17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Is it happening everywhere that schools are pulling contracts? Which ones do you know of?

18. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Stay in your secure jobs in UK. Way to much uncertainty....this July/August is a no no. There aren't many flights, visa processing doesn't exist, every country has different entry rules most with restrictions, schools all remote learning, schools and teachers both have a good reason to not honour contracts.

Next summer is the year to make a move.

Luvsskiing likes this.
  19. IndigoViolence

there’s been 3 in the ME that I personally know of. I can’t be too specific for reasons obvious. China, SE Asia... I think of the email comes before the end of May for UK staff then that’s ok. It’s the ones who are international already who are in between - they’re the ones who are up the proverbial creek.

20. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

Any day now, I'm expecting an email cancelling my new contract for next year. It has become very clear that I'm not going to be able to get a visa for the original start date. It is hard to believe how much has changed over just a few months. If you have a job in the UK, STAY. This is not the time to take risks with your career or health.

DocShew and Luvsskiing like this.